5 Ways To Help Relieve Stress In Your Life

I'm not an expert, and this by no means works for everyone, but these are five things I do to help destress my life.

37

These tips might not be for everyone; not everyone does these things or enjoys them. if you have never done these things, try them! You never know until you try.

1. Go to the gym

woman standing surrounded by exercise equipment

Photo by Danielle Cerullo on Unsplash

The gym is by no means for everyone. For some people, it creates more stress instead of taking it away. It's hard to keep up with and squeeze in. It took me about two weeks until I consistently was able to find time and force myself to go to the gym.

But finding a gym you like, a workout you like, and a gym schedule that works for you can help destress your life. Going even as little as thirty minutes a day, giving that workout your all, sweating bullets, can help destress your life. You'll walk out of that gym feeling like you rule the world. (Plus, it's good for your health!)

2. Write in a journal

selective focus photography of pen

Photo by fotografierende on Unsplash

I. LOVE. JOURNALING.

Every single day I write down how I felt, what I accomplished, what I need to work on, and what I need to do the next day. It allows me to express my feelings, keep track of what days I was feeling bad and what may have caused it. It's nice to go back and see how much you accomplished in a day, even the little things like taking out the trash, or doing the dishes.

Little accomplishments matter too, especially when you might feel stressed because you feel like you aren't doing enough. You don't have to write in it everyday, I know I don't. And you don't even have to write what I do, but keeping a journal and letting out all of your feelings can save you from bottling it all up and exploding later.

3. Read your Bible

open pocket bible on green surface

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

I know not everyone is a Christian and not everyone believes in the same thing, so you are more than welcome to skip this tip or just replace it with whatever book your religion uses. I have been trying to get back into the Word and read my Bible more. Even if it's just a chapter a day, you can learn a lot from just that one chapter.

Currently, I am reading the book of Psalms, probably one of my favorite books in the Bible, along with Romans and Proverbs. It's nice to relax after a hard day, open the Word, and know that Jesus has my back. I know that I can give all my stress to Him and know it's in His hands. Not everyone has the same amount of faith, and it can be hard sometimes to know God has it all planned out for you and that he is taking care of everything for you, but I promise you, He does.

4. Read a book

person holding open book viewing mountain view

Photo by Kourosh Qaffari on Unsplash

Thanks to BookTok and finally getting my reading hobby back, I have spent lots of money and time reading books. I have always loved reading, but it slowly started to disappear from my life as I got older. When I started college it stopped. I would just read the books from my classes, and I never made time for the thing I loved.

If you're looking for your sign, this is it! Make time to read and do what you love (even if it's not reading!) It's nice to lay in bed after a long day, showered and wrapped in blankets to read a book, even if it's just a chapter! It's nice to read a book on a rainy day when you can hear the raindrops hit the roof. It's nice to sit outside and read a book when it's sunny and listen to the birds chirping and feel the breeze.

I mostly read fantasy books, and it's so nice when I am having a rough day to escape to someone else's life who isn't my own.

5. Lastly, MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF!

black and red floral happy birthday signage

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

I am in a firm believer in planning. I've always been a planner, and always will be. I like to know what I am doing for the day, what I need to do, and when I need to do it. That's not for everyone, and other people may be more spontaneous than me, but that's just how I roll and what's always worked for me.

When you become an adult, get a full-time job, have kids, get married, buy a house, you often forget about yourself. Between housework, homework, work from work that you had to bring home, you don't squeeze any quality time in with yourself. Here is my two cents now, MAKE TIME.

Make time for yourself and what you love. DO NOT sacrifice every second of your time doing something that makes someone else happy and not yourself. Find a hobby, read a book, spend time with your family, take a bubble bath, take up yoga. Do whatever it is that makes you happy, because once you make time for yourself, that can really help to destress your life.

Just a closing message and tip that I will leave you with, just as a little bonus. As I mentioned, I have been a planner forever, and I always will be. I know that when I plan something out, it helps me destress. With balancing school full-time, work full-time, keeping up with my housework, making sure I spend time with my boyfriend and my family, and making I don't forget any important events, a planner has been my lifesaver.

If you've never used a planner before, or don't know if it's for you, I definitely recommend it. Again, you never know until you try!