Five Ways To Combat The Common Cold

Five Ways To Combat The Common Cold

Follow these simple steps to get over a cold quickly!

23
Five Ways To Combat The Common Cold
skyehegyes.com

We all know it's coming: the chilly, overcast days that just might bring California its desperately needed rain. With the wonders of these foggy days comes the nuisance of the common cold. And once it comes, there's no escaping it. The sniffles, sneezes, constant coughing and fatigue make it pretty hard to get work done. Mix one poor individual with the cesspool-like qualities of living in a dorm, and by midday everybody and their mother is under the weather. So, before we head into this sickly season, here's a few pointers on how to make everyone's autumn and winter a little bit better.

1. Sleep, sleep, and sleep!!

Did I mention you should sleep? Getting enough sleep is critical for your body to re-energize and fight the evils of the common cold. Not only will sleeping help fortify your body, but the comforts of a cozy bed on a cold day will be sure to help you feel infinitely better mentally. Giving your body the extra time to rest will ensure a speedy recovery from the wreaths of sickness.

spryliving.com

2. Check WebMD

You're probably dead.

3. Vitamin C & Zinc

Since a dorm room setting doesn't allow for cooking vats of chicken noodle soup—and I'm sure chicken flavored Cup Noodles won't cut it—the next best sickness remedy would be taking Zinc and Vitamin C. Now, although Zinc and Vitamin C have normal benefits, their use in the case of the common cold has been disputed. Many believe that these two only work before the immune system is attacked, and not during sickness. There are companies such as Emergent-C and Airborne who's products were made to fortify the immune systems before an attack. Whether or not these "DIY sickness remedies" actually work, the placebo effect and their usual benefits definitely help both mentally and physically in sickness.

pinterest.com

4. Re-watch old favorites!

Nothing helps with relaxation and rejuvenation more than taking a break with familiar faces. Oldies like Monster's Inc. (2001) or How I Met Your Mother (2005-2014) will be easy to watch in a sickened state, and for all of you away from the comforts of home, will bring a sense of comfort to being sick in an unfamiliar place. Watching movies or T.V. shows is both entertaining and quite easy. Invite friends over for a movie marathon of your old favorites, and try not to get them sick!

5. Hydrate

Hydration is key. Hydration is another important factor that makes sure your body has all the strength it needs to fight off the invading germs. With hydration, your cells can work quickly and efficiently and you will be better in no time!

sodahead.com

Or, if you're so inclined, just don't get sick. Sickness prevention is as simple as making sure to always wash your hands and cleaning frequently used surfaces. As we welcome the season of sickness and pumpkin spice lattés, let's all try our best to stay healthy and enjoy the new weather.