7 Easy Ways To Cultivate Habits That Will Stick For Life
Lifestyles

New year new you, right?

179

We are already almost a month into 2019. How are those resolutions going? Building new habits to reach goals can be hard because we humans are 100% creatures of habit. When we try to change something about our routine our old habits get in the way.

Here are a few easy ways to build and maintain goals that will help you crush your resolutions and build those healthy habits once and for all.

1. Make your goals S.M.A.R.T

Instagram

S.M.A.R.T stands for specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely — and has worked to help me create goals and habits that are way easier to stick with.

For instance, instead of saying "I want to raise my GPA" you could structure it as "I am going to study every evening for half an hour at the library. I will use the tutoring center to track my time. I will ask a friend from class if they would like to join. I will need to bring my notes and textbook. I want to get in this habit before midterm exams."

S.M.A.R.T goals are a great way to break down your goal into what you really want and to keep yourself accountable.

2. Use a reward system

Instagram

Ideally, use a reward system that doesn't derail the habit you're working to build. When I first started going to the gym, I would stick a dinosaur sticker to my calendar each day that I went. It was a small thing, but it had the same effect that "Good Job!" stickers do on children in elementary school — I strived for that sticker and it helped motivate me to keep the habit of going to the gym.

A simple reward system will work for any goal — whether it's stickers each day you work on that habit or a self-care day after a few weeks of accomplishing tasks.

3. Find someone to keep you accountable

Accountability can make or break a habit. Find someone to keep you on track to reaching your goals. Ask a friend to come to the library with you to study, find a workout class to join, find a group or club to help you build your habits.

Having someone as invested in healthy habits as you are can make all the difference in the world. Social media or blogging can also be great ways to hold yourself accountable with the support of mass online communities.

4. Get rid of road blocks

You want to cut refined sugars out of your diet? Throw all of the things in your living space with refined sugars out. You can't expect to build healthy habits when their unhealthy counterparts are within reach.

You want to limit your screen time? Put limits on your devices either manually or through apps and websites like StayFocusd or Forest, sleep WITHOUT your phone in the room and move your TV to a space specifically for watching it.

5. Don't tell anyone about your goals

Studies show that the more you talk about your goals, the less likely you are to achieve them. Find your accountability groups, but after that try not to make your goals a huge part of your identity — by sharing them, your brain subconsciously thinks you have achieved part of the goal.

6. Schedule in time for your new habits

Humans love schedules. You have set times that you wake up, go to class, and go to work. You put those times in your planner or calendar, so why not put in time for your habits? If you set a time to go to the gym or work on homework, you're more likely to actually do it.

So add your new habits to your planner, because it's go time!

7. Finally, start small

If you've never meditated before you're probably not going to be able to start meditating for 20 minutes a day right off the bat. Keep your goals attainable (Remember our S.M.A.R.T goals?) by working into them.

Just be sure to keep adjusting your goals to ultimately reach those habits.

Habits can be hard to build but once they're there you won't be able to imagine not having them!