A24's Film Waves Will Break Your Heart, But Absolutely Everyone Should Watch It

Waves is the coming of age story we've needed in the world of film for years.

51

I fall in love with movies and television shows often but I rarely fall in love with the concept of either just based on a trailer. Sure, I might watch the teasers and get excited about the release date. But there have only been a few times when I've been overwhelmingly excited about a film based on the previews. When I first found out that A24 was releasing the film Waves, I knew that I had to see the film.

Some movie trailers give so much away, that you see no point in going to watch the films. That wasn't the case with Waves. The first trailer came out in September 2019. It was all over my Twitter and Instagram feeds and I just had to find out more about the movie. The first few seconds of the official trailer are extremely captivating. In the first few seconds, Frank Ocean's song 'Godspeed' plays over a montage of beautifully made scenes as a strong voice recites 1 Corinthians 13 4-8. All of these things make you want to immediately put the pieces of the story together, even though you know you have no idea what the story might be.

Waves is unique. Some might describe it as a teen drama unlike no other. It follows the journey of a hometime highschool hero - Tyler Williams. Tyler is athletic, attractive, and someone everyone wants to be friends with. His younger sister, Emily, is beautiful but quiet and she often goes unnoticed because of her brother's shadow. But eventually, Tyler's glowing and exciting light fades out and his entire family is forced to stand in his proxy in the spotlight.

The beauty of Waves is that it is 100% an emotional rollercoaster of a film, from the moment it opens. You never fully know what is going to happen next, even if it feels like you do. At a certain part of the film, you feel like you're watching a completely different movie. Almost as if you started its sequel without moving from your seat.

Despite the amazing storyline full of twists and turns, the film itself is beautiful. The vibrant colors seen in the trailer stay consistent in all of the other scenes of the film. The soundtrack is impeccable featuring artists from Amy Winehouse to H.E.R. Casting for the film couldn't have done better with breakout stars such as Kelvin Harrison Jr. and familiar faces like one from

This Is Us, Sterling K. Brown. I could go on and on about all of the amazing aspects of Waves, but I truly don't think it can be understood until you watch it. So if you're looking for a new cult classic the film is now available on digital platforms such as iTunes and Amazon Prime.