I Was Single For A Year

I Was Single For A Year

When waiting wasn't a bad thing

17
I Was Single For A Year
TrekEarth

Any of my friends can attest to the fact that I am one of the most boy-crazy people they know. From the moment I entered high school, getting a boyfriend was one of my main goals, and I set out to always look my best with straightened hair, perfectly applied makeup, and polished nails. I soon entered into my first relationship, and this action began the serious downfall of my obsession.

I loved every aspect of being in a relationship. Having someone to spend time with, care for, and laugh with was my definition of ultimate happiness. So, naturally, as soon as I encountered my first breakup, I was devastated. However, faster than an Olympic runner, I entered into relationship number two, and “moved on.” I now had someone new to spend time with, and I loved every second of it.

But was I really loving myself?

After experiencing breakup number three about a year and a half ago, I decided to take a step back and really think about my choices. By jumping from boyfriend to boyfriend, I rarely had time for me. While having a constant guy by my side seemed like the only aspect that mattered at that time, I now realized if I wanted to be truly happy and feel like myself, then I needed to take a break from boys for a while.

Now, instead of noticing a boy and thinking, “He’s cute and I need to make him mine,” my thought process was more like, “He’s cute, but I’m happy being on my own for now.” And being this way was honestly one of the best times of my life. Contrary to what the media may portray, being single is awesome. I tried out for the cheerleading squad and conquered one of my goals in becoming a college athlete. I traveled over my spring break and took a huge step out of my comfort zone in volunteering abroad. I became Vice President of my sorority and was able to plan an incredible spring formal with my sisters by my side. I started going to church more, and felt a deeper connection to my faith.

All of these aspects intertwined to create the confident, bubbly, energetic person I am now. I’ve come a long way since my high school days, and I’m proud of that.

However, I knew I couldn’t stay single forever. So entering into my newest relationship I was more than apprehensive to balance the time I created for myself and time for another. But everything is amazing so far. Because in learning more about myself, I also learned more about how to share myself with someone else.

Take some time for you. It’s worth it in the long run, trust me.