Yes, I Want To Be A Teacher Despite The Salary

And, yes, I'm proud of my decision.

271
Blue Orange Games

Ever since I could remember, I have always wanted to be a teacher. As a little girl, I'd play "school" and I would pretend to teach my stuffed animal pupils how to add and subtract. For some reason, I was also obsessed with the idea of teaching the little ones, ranging from preschool to 2nd grade. I loved kids, and I still do.

As I got older, my passion grew stronger. I hated the fact of going to school, but learning was actually fun to me. I would study my teachers' methods of getting us to understand every concept, and he/she would try his/her best to make sure everything was enjoyable. Of course, there were things I absolutely dreaded learning about but it was only for my own good.

The majority of the teachers I had throughout grade school were pretty great, and they were consistent with their work. They were concerned about their students, and I liked that. I felt safe, and I could trust them if I ever needed help, both inside and outside of the classroom.

There were a few of those teachers who undoubtedly stood out. They knew what they were doing. They offered assistance, no matter the difficulty or complaints they'd get from other students. When I was younger, I struggled really badly with math. Geometry was not adding up in my brain and algebra confused me. I didn't like working with numbers. Today, if you asked me to do your Algebra II homework, I'd do it without a problem. This is because my 8th-grade math teacher changed everything for me. She made a difference. I'm not lying when I say that I sucked at math and I hated the ways other teachers were lecturing it to me. Required state testing was brutal. 8th grade was such a successful year and I owe it all to my pre-algebra teacher. Because of her, math is my strong suit. The state testing was advanced proficient and I never got that before. I'd actually be glad to help with homework or solve equations for fun.

I mentioned that specific teacher because I want to make a difference to my students the way she did with me. She changed my entire outlook on learning and teaching. She was sincere, helpful, and understanding. Most importantly, she cared about whether her students knew the material she preached.

Now, just because I loved my math class in 8th grade doesn't mean I want to stick to middle school teaching. People have limits and my limit is the primary school. I get those looks, like "Oh my, you like little kids? How do you have the patience for them?". Some people do and some people don't. That's why I always say that teaching is not for everyone.

Informing people that I want to be a teacher can be painful. Folks constantly ask me where I'm going to school and what I'm going for. I tell them proudly and confidently that I'm going to school for early childhood education. Then I get that look like they feel super sorry for that inconvenience. If it's what I want to do then they shouldn't feel bad. This is not for sympathy. Yes, I do have the patience for the little ones. I get along with them the most and I feel like there is a mutual understanding between us.

I also get the "Oh, okay" vibe from others when I tell them my future plans of becoming an educator. I am well aware of the money situation. People fail to hide that factor from me by saying the disappointing "Oh, okay". Believe me, I think about money a lot and my mind tends to go off on tangents about whether I'm going to get by in life. But I don't care about the salary. Of course, you need money in life to survive but my passion for teaching overcomes the paycheck any day.

After completing two field experiences during my sophomore year of college, I became even more excited for the future. I knew this was really for me when I had to observe a preschool classroom. I enjoyed it so much to the point I wanted to go back as soon as I could.

I can understand children and their ways of thinking. I can observe their oral and written language. I know how their brains work and how they absorb every piece of information like a sponge. I never had that experience except with my practicum. When my baby brother came along, I had multiple opportunities to get to know the way children behave. That made my passion grow even stronger! Expensive textbooks give me the logistics and the official definitions of things, but that can't beat the personal experiences.

I literally can't see myself doing anything else with my life. My heart is with education forever. We need teachers in this country and the world to make a change. Teachers are praised for what they do. Again, I don't really mind the pay and I'm not doing it for the luxurious summers off. I'm doing this because I want to do it. I love being with the little ones. I love when their eyes light up when they understand something. I enjoy the company and I enjoy being there for them. I want to make that difference. I want them to look back at it, no matter how old they are, and say "Wow, she was awesome!".

This job isn't "easy". I just don't doodle and spell the simplest words all day. I hear this all the time. The amount of work I have to do for my education classes is extreme. I can't imagine how it is behind the desk, having to write lesson plans and set out every week of each marking period. It's actually scary to think about but I know I can do it. I can't wait to see where this leads, and I can't wait to make a difference.

Yes, I want to be a teacher. Yes, I'm proud of it.