Why Waiting On God Is Always Worth Your While

God is always on time.

49
wikipedia.org

This past May, I graduated Summa Cum Laude from CUNY Medgar Evers College with an associate’s Degree in Liberal Arts. I studied English with a concentration in cross-cultural literature.

Before I entered MEC in 2013, I had spent $85 dollars of my Mother's money on an application fee for entrance into Columbia University. I wanted to attend this Ivy League school so bad, I could taste it. I wasted a lot of time waiting for an answer from Columbia. I even prayed about it and was promised by God that I would be admitted. After waiting all summer, the rejection letter came. I swallowed my pride and made the announcement to all my friends, family, and church members. Why was I returning to school? My calling is to become a criminal defense attorney. Understandably, this process will take a lot of time. Four years for the bachelor's degree and then three more for the J.D. degree. I felt as though the clock was ticking and time was being wasted. I was told by a friend of mine to try Medgar Evers College.

The first semester at Medgar was an adjustment. I had to become re-accustomed to going to school, studying, taking exams, and writing papers. By the end of the first semester, I found myself on the dean's list. I would stay on the dean's list my entire time at Medgar, even earning straight 'A's. The education that I received at Medgar is invaluable, but it didn't just come from lectures, books, and research. I gained a valuable education about myself and my people, the African American community. This was part of God's plan all along.

The two years at MEC flew by. It was not an easy ride, but it was a joyous one. I have to admit, there was some serious studying, as grades are earned by working hard, keeping on top of all assignments, and hours upon hours of living in the library. I became an S.I. (supplementary instructor) and made countless friends, not just with my fellow students, but all of my professors, librarians, security, and even people who worked in the cafeteria. This school is one of the best experiences that God has blessed me with. I became an ASAP student, and with the advice of my advisor, I branched out, researched, and applied to other schools in order to continue my education after receiving my associate degree. I applied to CUNY John Jay and was accepted. I applied to New York University and was accepted. With each acceptance letter and subsequent orientation of the schools, I still felt uneasiness, a message of sorts that although these are wonderful schools and I am thankful for the acceptance letters, there was a voice telling me to wait. I am not to attend any of these schools. Pushing all "mortal common sense aside," I kept delaying the registration process at both John Jay and NYU. I was obedient, and trusting in God. He in turned blessed me even more!

As I was waiting on instructions from God, I was still, in my mind, trying to decide between John Jay and NYU. Out of the blue, I started receiving a series of emails from Columbia University. Now, I had prayed for acceptance into Columbia, but that was years prior. I even had dreams that I was accepted, but the sting of the rejection letter still was fresh in my mind. I ignored the emails from Columbia as I rationalized, "They didn't want me before, why are they emailing me now?" I had taken the entrance exam, written the entrance essay, and turned in all of the required information, yet was still denied, so I turned a blind eye to all of the emails. Still, they kept coming.

Finally, Columbia sent me one final email. They informed me that if I were to apply, the application fee would be waived. I said to myself upon seeing this, "What the heck? Check your ego at the door, pray, and apply." As I started to fill out the application, I saw a disclaimer at the bottom stating that if an applicant has been denied, one is to wait three years before applying again. I did the math. It had not been exactly three years for me, as I attended Medgar right after being denied from Columbia and had been at Medgar for two years. I immediately stopped applying. What I didn't know was when my advisor and mentor sent reference letters out to the other schools I was applying to, they also sent one out to Columbia. Once I was accepted into NYU, everyone was congratulating me on my acceptance into Columbia. It annoyed me at first, and I began correcting them. I would let them know it was, in fact, NYU I was accepted into. Still, everyone who would approach me would talk about Columbia. I know God when He is speaking, so after having a heart to heart with a dear friend, Dr. Barnwell, she congratulated me on NYU. We have become close friends, and I know her pretty well. Her congratulation was heartfelt, but there was a touch of sadness in it. I called her out on it, and she, in turn, asked me sincerely, "Isn't Columbia your dream?" She was right. I immediately ran to the MEC library and I finished the application to Columbia University.

After finishing the application, I would pick up the SAT book to study for the entrance exam. I kind of knew what to expect on the exam, but wanted to brush up on the studying. Strange thing, every single time I picked up the SAT prep book to study, I could not get into it. I ended up taking the LSAT prep course offered at MEC and told myself that this was enough prep for the Columbia entrance exam. No sooner had I thought that, I received an email stating that I was ineligible to take the entrance exam at Columbia. I would have to either wait four years or pay and take the equivalent of the SAT somewhere else. I said, "Well, there goes that" and left the application alone. Everything was in except my high school transcript and the exam scores. The due date of the application came, and I was without the two missing items. I tried to convince myself I was happy to have at least had the chance to apply again to Columbia, and who knows? Maybe I am to wait until law school to apply there. Once again, another nudge from God came through.

I received another email from Columbia. This time, they extended the due date of the application, giving me time to gather the missing information. I was able to have my high school transcript sent in. All that was missing was my new exam. God told me not to worry about it. I am here to let everyone know, when you ask God for something and He tells you that He is going to give it to you, believe him! It may not come when you want it, yet when you finally do get what you asked for and look back, you will understand why you had to wait. You will also learn that God is ALWAYS on time! I am going to be a criminal defense attorney, and of course, I will serve the people in my community. In order for me to serve the people in my community, I had to learn about my community, and I obtained that knowledge of that from Medgar Evers College. I would not have had that type of educational experience going anywhere else.

After completing my Columbia application, NYU scheduled me to come in and start the process of registering for classes. After speaking to God, He told me to wait. I will admit, reluctantly I did. I was ashamed to explain to people why I was waiting. For three weeks, I kept postponing the process with NYU, and I will admit, with each passing week, I became more and more nervous. I was being taught patience and complete trust in God. NYU stated that the acceptance is good for one year, so technically I had nothing to worry about. Turns out, when you trust God, there never is EVER anything to worry about!

I am happy to say, that on Friday, July 16, at 6:20 p.m., I received an email that I am still jumping for joy and praising God for. I have been accepted into Columbia University! God had promised me Columbia two years ago. He had me attend Medgar Evers College to be educated on who I am as a Black man and to better understand my own culture and community. After I received this education, God blessed me with his promise. I am officially a Columbia student. I will obtain my bachelor's degree and master's in English and head on to law school. I am beyond thankful, I am excited, and I am so grateful to be able to share my testimony with everyone! Columbia University, the very school that once sent me a rejection letter, God had them seek me out in order to get me to reapply. I obeyed God and was accepted. When He says yes, no one can say no. Is God awesome or what?