Waiting On Chivalry

Waiting On Chivalry

20
Waiting On Chivalry

It is one of the most beautiful aspects of life -- treating others with sincerity, being kind for no reason, and expressing to others that they matter. For a long time, now, people seemed to have forgotten that those are the important things that distinguish one person from another -- or one man from another.

For centuries, men have been held to a high standard to uphold certain behaviors when engaging with women. But these standards were not set on the basis of thoughtfulness and consideration. These standards were formulated based on the idea that all women are fragile and need to be protected; society decided to call this need for protection, chivalry.  

I will give no complaints if a man wants to open my door, or offers to bring the car around when it is raining, but these acts of chivalry should be done out of kindness and respect, not based on the assumption that a woman is delicate and incapable. But this idea does not even begin to highlight the big picture. While many may perform chivalrous acts to appear dominant, men are slowly starting to forget to do nice things at all. They don't realize that compassion is one of the most attractive qualities and nothing is more respectable than treating others with reverence.               

Here is to hoping that chivalry makes a comeback, one that has undergone a major transformation and makes women believe that a man respects her not because he must, but because it is impossible to do anything but.