Vocal Health Tips For Recruitment

Hello lovely sorority ladies!

Recruitment is now just around the corner! So, with all of our boisterous chanting and enthusiastic songs, there are a number of us who have sore throats or are currently losing their voice, etc. Here are some tips to make it out of recruitment with your voice not being mistaken for a man's!

Tips for Vocal Health:

1) LOTS OF WATER!
Seriously though, if nothing else, drink water! Proper hydration will keep your vocal cords properly lubricated, which prevents sore throats, lost voices, pain, etc. Sugary beverages like soda coat your throat and can damage your vocal folds. So, DRINK WATER! You'll know you are doing it well if you end up having to pee... a lot!

2) Hot tea

Sore throat? You're losing your voice? One way to soothe it is with hot tea! Green tea with honey is the bomb dot com for your voice. I would avoid or decrease your coffee intake because coffee is actually fairly acidic, and that's a no-no for your voice.

3) If it hurts, it shouldn't!
Your vocal cords are not muscles, but are actually made of membranous tissue! This means that they are delicate and need proper care and support on the daily. If your voice hurts during chants, it means you're straining your vocal cords!

4) Vocal warm ups

What do you do before a hardcore workout? Or a soccer game? You warm up! Your voice needs the same kind of treatment. Imagine trying to run without stretching or warming up. It's a shock to your system, and it eventually starts to hurt. Same with your voice! Doing some vocal warm ups will prevent you from your throat hurting and you losing your voice. There are a lot of great example of vocal warm-ups on Youtube.

5) You deserve a massage.
As strange as this sounds, you should massage your neck/jaw. Many people tense their jaw, which can lead to increased stress on your voice. So take time to relax and massage away!

6) Proper posture!
It's not just good for your spine, it's also good for your voice! Leaning forward and straining your neck strains your vocal cords, and that is a no-no. So keep your back straight and don't pull your neck forward. A great way to check is to make an L with your index finger and thumb and place your thumb in the little indent between your collar bones and the bottom of your chin. That is the proper way to hold your head!

7) Chloraseptic cough drops!
These cough drops are magic. If you have a sore throat, these babies will numb the pain away. It's only a temporary solution, so don't depend on them!

Hopefully with these tips, you can sing and yell your hearts out for all your new members at Bid Day!