Go Visit Your Old High School Teachers During Break

While Home, Take Time To Visit Some Of Your Biggest Fans, Your Old High School Teachers

Never forget those who have been there for you every step of the way.

610

While you're home for the Holidays, don't forget to visit the people who have been there for you since day one. The people who supported you and your wildest dreams. The people who stayed up many sleepless nights grading your papers and meeting with you when you needed help. The people who never get the amount of credit that they deserve.

Your old High School teachers.

When I was leaving after graduation, I had to walk up a long staircase to get outside. On the way up on each side of me and every other stair was one of my old high school teachers. To me, my old teachers being on the steps as I went out was symbolic. The stairs symbolized my life and with each step, there was a teacher there who had taught me more than I could have ever asked for. Yet, when I reached the top of the stairs, there were no more teachers because it was time for me to start a new chapter of my life without them. This explains why they seemed so happy but still sad to see us all go. The kids that they had grown to love and teach were leaving them behind and starting a new chapter of their lives. For many teachers, this moment would be the last they would see of us for good.

But it would not be the last moment they would see me.

While home for Christmas, I made it a mission of mine to go back and see all of my old teachers and guidance counselors. Other than my parents, they have always been people I looked up to for advice and wisdom. Before graduation, they told me to come to visit them, but they doubted that I would. I wanted to show them that they were wrong. When I visited them, they immediately got excited to see me and gave me many great hugs. They were so happy to hear that I was doing well in college and that my personality and work ethic had never changed. I loved getting to see them as well; it brought back so many good memories. I was also happy to see that they never changed as well and never lost their passion for teaching the younger minds of today.

So, students, I ask this simple favor from you.

When you're home, go visit your old high school teachers. Let them know how you're doing. Show them you haven't changed, or maybe you have changed. If so, show them how you have changed for the better and grown as a person. Visiting them will make their day because whether you believe it or not, they still love you even if you aren't their student anymore. My mom is a former teacher and she talks fondly about her past students all the time and how when she sees them it warms her heart to know that they're doing well. Make your former teachers day and go visit them while you're home for break. I guarantee that it will be the best gift you can give them this Holiday season.