As A Student At The University Of Hawaii at Mānoa I Can Say That Virtual Classes Have Been Challenging To Manage

My planner has been more helpful than ever before

13

If you haven't been able to tell yet, taking classes virtually is completely different than taking them in person. I always had one class each semester online in the past and did just fine, but taking ALL of them online definitely is a big change, and a challenge.

It's hard for me to keep track of what homework is due when.

I have a few different websites where I see what the homework is and when it is due. Most of my professors have the homework written out in the syllabus, where they have the whole calendar, but some of them will post them on secondary websites. If I don't check that website often, I risk missing an assignment that I can't make up. It has been hard staying on top of my work because of this reason. So far, I haven't missed anything, but I came really close to missing an accounting assignment recently.

It's hard to pay attention "in class"

The way my schedule is set up, I have 2 classes that have Zoom calls I have to attend. Both of which are at 9 in the morning. I am awake in time for class, but often times I find myself getting easily distracted by other things on my laptop. Whether it be catching up on the daily news or doing other things. It's been hard for me to pay attention, which has never been an issue for me in the past with in person classes.

I've already missed a few Zoom calls because I just completely spaced.

It's not hard to forget about a class that is in person, but when it comes to being online Zoom classes, it has been something that has occured a few times for me. One of my classes has a set time for Zoom calls, but it doesn't have set days. So figuring out when we are actually meeting on Zoom has been crazy for me. I didn't even realize I missed a class until later in the day.

It has also been hard to keep track of where we are in the content.

With the classes that aren't given via Zoom and are only online, it has been hard to stay on top of where we are exactly in the content. My professors have either just been non-existent or they don't keep us updated as to what the lesson of the day or week is.

Overall, taking an entire semester's worth of courses all online has been challenging for me.

I have been struggling this semester, and currently it's only the third week. Staying on top of my work and attending classes on Zoom has made my life hectic. What has helped me is keeping a physical planner right by my laptop. Each night, I go in and look through all of my courses to check what homework is due when and what readings I have to do. I write down everything on the day it is due, and once it is completed, I highlight it.

Online classes aren't ideal for anyone, but I know that it is worth it.

I remind myself when I get stressed and want to drop all of my classes that this is all worth it. If it means we are combating the spread of COVID-19, then I will push through it. Once it is safe again to go back to in-person classes, it will be worth it. This semester is already teaching me, as a second semester sophomore, how to be even more organized than before and how to face whatever obstacles life throws at me.