To Meat Or Not To Meat - Health Benefits Of Each

Meat eaters, rejoice. Beet eaters, rejoice as well.

35
The Conversation

There are many reasons why people may follow a vegetarian diet. Some may do so for religious or moral reasons, some for monetary, and some for health reasons. While shunning meat is often flaunted as a superior choice for health by some, others may think of the possible deficiencies and argue that vegetarian diets cannot be healthy. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics came forward with a formal position in December that vegetarian diets are sustainable and can offer health benefits if planned properly. The key words here, of course, are "planned properly." Neither cutting out meat nor consuming meat is instantly synonymous with health. Either way, there are several possible nutritional benefits to both styles of eating.

The Benefits of Meat and Animal Products

Vitamin B12

Vitamin B12 is near impossible to find naturally outside of animal sources, so meat-eaters do not typically have to worry about being deficient unless there is another preexisting medical condition affecting nutrient absorption in the stomach or intestines. B12 helps with cognitive function, as well as energy and other neurological processes. Symptoms of a vitamin B12 deficiency can include anemia, fatigue, memory problems, tingling of the hands and feet, and more; however, meat-eaters are less likely than vegetarians and especially vegans to experience this problem. Some good sources include salmon, various cuts of beef, clams, milk, and fortified cereals. Vegetarians may have to rely on cereals that artificially add it, shots or other forms of supplementation, but omnivores have several opportunities within their diets.

Protein

Protein is incredibly important not only for muscle but for building almost all the parts of the body. Think back to chemistry class - that proteins are made up of amino acids. There are some that are essential - only obtained through food eaten, and some that are non-essential - which the body can make for itself. Animal products are not only a good source of protein itself, but they contain all the essential amino acids. Vegetarians have to make sure to include a variety of protein sources to make sure all the essential ones are consumed. This same issue holds true with protein supplements. Some are made from animal products anyway, but not all protein powders and supplements contain all the essential amino acids and are not always absorbed and utilized as well as the real food traditionally eaten.

Iron

Iron is incredibly important, especially for women of childbearing age. It helps carry oxygen in the blood, and oxygen is used to make energy for every single process in the human body. That said, when humans do not have enough iron, their energy is severely affected, in addition to often becoming anemic, feeling very cold, having difficulty concentrating, the list goes on. There are two forms of iron consumed: heme iron and non-heme iron. Iron is found in both plant and animal products, but animal products are the only source of heme iron. Heme iron is not only absorbed better than its nonheme counterpart, but it improves the absorption of nonheme iron. Excellent sources include oysters, sardines, and liver (if any of those are your cup of tea), as well as beef, chicken, tuna, turkey, and eggs.

Calcium

Also of especial importance for women of childbearing age is calcium. You have probably already heard how calcium helps support strong bones and teeth (a.k.a. helps prevent osteoporosis) with the help of its trusty sidekick vitamin D. However, calcium is no one-trick pony. It assists in muscle contraction, and studies have also shown calcium to play an important role in regulating blood pressure. The best "meat" source of calcium is probably salmon, but the best source overall is an animal product as well - dairy.

The Benefits of Ditching Meat and Animal Products

Lowered Risk of Heart Disease

Individuals following a vegetarian diet have shown to have a lower incidence of heart disease, the risks declining as you limit the amounts of animal products eaten. To clarify, "vegetarian" means that one simply does not eat meat. A "vegan" is one who does not eat animal products of any kind, including milk, eggs, and seafood. Lactovegetarians consume dairy, ovovegetarians consume eggs, pescetarians consume fish, and titles can be combined such as "lactoovovegetarian" to specifically describe what an individual does or does not eat. Vegans, the most restrictive form, had the lowest incidence of heart disease, and non-vegetarians the highest. This could be due to reduced intake of saturated fats, found in many meats and animal products.

Increased Fruit and Vegetable Content

Theoretically, vegetarian diets contain more fruit and vegetable content. To obtain adequate protein, or just to make up for the remainder of a dish where meat is not used, substitutes such as beans or vegetables are frequently used. Of course, one could also replace meat in meals with just pastas or breads, and not receive the benefits from the increased fruits and vegetables. But if one chooses the more balanced option, intake of vitamins and some minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and water content is likely higher.

Easier to Lose or Maintain Weight

Because vegetables by nature tend to have more water and fiber, individuals consuming such diets can fill up on fewer calories. Again, this is based on the premise that the vegetarian individual eats more than just breads and pastas, but a fair balance of these other foods. If the individual is consuming dairy products, eggs, or fish, these foods will add slightly more calories from fat than most fruits and veggies. However, as many American meals tend to center on meats, often fatty, the bulk of the plate needs to be filled with something, and replacing any part of the plate with more fruits and vegetables can help prevent consumption of excess calories for those who face this issue.

A Host Of Other (Often Obesity-Related) Conditions

In summary of the statement from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics as stated above, this applies to well-planned vegetarian diets, those which include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and protein sources from plants (varied to include all essential amino acids) or certain sources from animals (milk, eggs, fish), all of which tend to be lower in fat or contain less saturated fats than, say, red meats, but richer sources of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids. These balanced vegetarian diets may help fend off diabetes, hypertension, kidney problems, cancer, and more.

It is also important to remember that genes play a role in health as well. Some individuals can eat all the "unhealthy foods" and live a long, healthy life, and others may follow "all the nutrition rules" and still wind up with various diseases. The keyword here is "prevent." No matter which side of the meat debate you fall on, there are health benefits for each. In my personal opinion, lactovegetarians or vegetarians that also include eggs or meat have the best of both worlds, enjoying health advantages from both sides. I personally enjoy all forms of meats too much to go vegetarian, and try to enjoy in moderation, appreciating the nutrients provided along the way. Whichever diet is right for you, I hope you find a healthy balance, and enjoy the tastes and the benefits.