10 Things Vegetarians Are REALLY Sick Of Hearing

No, I don't want any of your chicken alfredo.

39
Instagram

Being a vegetarian is hard sometimes, but mostly because the people around you are ridiculously opinionated about your choice. I will say this to vegans: good for you and I can't imagine the shit you get all the time. I hear all kinds of annoying things about not eating meat. People love to assume the reasons you are doing it, and they love to make you feel stupid for it. I come from a very small town in the South that LOVES their meat, so my decision to stop eating it made many of my acquaintances voice their distaste for my lifestyle. Here are 10 things I, and probably most vegetarians, are tired of hearing.

1. Are you sure you can't just eat meat this one time?

Yes, I am definitely sure. Don't offer meat to a vegetarian. Would you offer alcohol to someone who wants to be sober? You don't know why this individual wants to refrain from eating meat, so respect that decision.

2. I appreciate this animal for it's sacrifice and I totally love animals. *takes violent bite of Big Mac*

If I could roll my eyes 400 times at this, I would.

3. You realize that you're not going to make a difference, right?

Haven't you been told your entire life that one person can change the course of history? Have you even done research on how much water, energy, and resources you can preserve by rejecting meat? Please, look it up. I dare you.

4. This meat is sooo delicious, don't you want some?

Please see number one. Do. Not. Offer. Us. Meat. I don't care how delicious you think it is. I'm perfectly happy with my veggie burger that won't make my stomach collapse in on itself.

5. Is it offensive for me to eat this in front of you?

Okay, this is different for everyone. For me, go for it. If you want to eat that, eat it. I respect your choice just as you should respect mine. BUT. Some people get physically ill when they see someone consume meat. I understand that this is why you ask that question, but it really gets annoying when you ask it ironically in front of your friends. If you are genuinely concerned about your friend, you get a free pass for this one.

6. Animals don't have rights. You're wasting your time.

WHAT WORLD ARE YOU LIVING IN? That is all I have to say on this.

7. Why would you stop eating meat for the sake of the environment?

Everyone always assumes that you became a vegetarian because you live and breathe animal rights, but I became one primarily because of the environmental impact the meat industry has on this planet. You would be surprised how much land, water, and energy is wasted to support the meat industry. If you are concerned about harmful gases being released in the air, look no further than your mass-production farm.

8. God put animals on this planet for us to eat.

I have no comment here. Sorry.

9. Don't you miss (insert meat here)?

No, not really. If I do, I sure as hell won't tell you about it. Sometimes I may miss bacon here and there, but once I remember why I am a vegetarian, that "I miss you" feeling goes away.

10. Why don't you take a bite? I promise I won't tell.

DO YOU THINK I AM A VEGETARIAN BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE WATCHING? If I was doing that, I'd be stupid. Most of the people "watching" criticize me for it.

I love being a vegetarian. It doesn't make me better than anyone else, but it does mean I am trying to make a difference in at least one way I can control. Respect your vegetarian friends and respect your meat-eating friends. You may not understand why someone feels the way they do about meat, but I promise you if they are talking about it all the time or interrogating you about it, you won't change their minds. That goes for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.