Vegan Beauty Saved My Skin

Vegan Beauty Saved My Skin

A simple switch up in beauty routine made a huge difference.

23
Vegan Beauty Saved My Skin
Maria Shriver

One look at my vanity and you will conclude that I am a bit of a makeup junkie. For years I have been growing my collection and am always dying to try the newest products that line the shelves of Ulta and Sephora. Well into high school and the constant battle of acne, I threw the well being of my skin out the window in the name of trendy beauty. Years of scarring and rough treatment to my fragile exterior took place before I realized that maybe the reactions taking place were more than just adolescence running its course. I had no idea the impact the harsh chemicals in the cosmetics I was using daily had such an impact on my skin.

Veganism was always a word that I associated with nutrition. I knew what it was and had mad respect for those who committed. I was in college the first time I stumbled upon vegan cosmetics. Cruelty-free was always something that I aimed for, but vegan makeup was a new concept to me.

It started with Kat Von D. A long time fan and wearer of her bold and edgy lip colors, I found myself branching out into the remainder of her cosmetic line. After choking down the pricey bill, I walked out of Sephora with the oh-so famous Lock-It Foundation. Once I had blended the formula onto my face, I immediately noticed a difference. The real difference came about a week after wearing this product every day. My acne and the dry and oily patches of skin had vanished. For once, my skin was smooth and clear. Then I knew that my cosmetic routine was about to change drastically and it did.

I slowly began weeding out the products that were destroying my complexion. Finding brands that were vegan and buying all new products was costly. It was a few months before I had fully turned my makeup routine vegan. I still see the incredible difference in not only the appearance of my skin, but the feeling of allowing my skin to breathe. Not once do I regret changing my cosmetics. In today's culture where beauty is met with how to do makeup well, it is important to be reminded to take care of what is beneath the makeup. Vegan cosmetics saved my skin and they can save yours too.

Here is a list of vegan cosmetic brands to help you begin your journey to cut out the products that are harming your skin.

1) Kat Von D

While the entire brand is not vegan, the majority is. Every product I try from this one I end up falling in love with. The Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks are a staple in my bag and the eye shadows are to die for.

2) Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics

One word. LIP TARS. Although this line has many more wonderful products, the lip tars are definitely a cult classic.

3) Jeffree Star Cosmetics

Jeffree is the queen of lip colors. If you don't like bold, look elsewhere. The Unicorn Blood shade is my favorite and finding it in stock is just about as difficult as finding a real unicorn.

4) Pacifica

The pigmentation in this line is just right! Not to mention the packaging is adorable! The perfumes also smell incredible.

5) Eco Tools

The softest makeup brushes on the market. The bets part is that they are super affordable too!

Wishing you all the best on your way to safe cosmetics and healthy skin!