7 Reasons It's Totally OK That I'm 23 And Have ALWAYS Been Single On Valentine's Day

Believe it or not, being single on Valentine's Day isn't a TOTAL bummer.

72
Instagram | Caitlin Bea

I've been here for almost 23 years and I have yet to celebrate Valentine's Day with a significant other, or even a date, for that matter. Sometimes it bums me out, but then I realize all the things that are fantastic about this.

1. Valentine's Day is largely just a commercial holiday.

It is designed to sell cards, chocolate, flowers, and other Valentine's-esque gifts. Seriously, there is research that shows how much money is shelled out on these gifts, and it's insane how much more money is charged for things like flowers during these types of holidays.

2. Valentine's Day should not be the ONLY day you show love to those you care about.

By all means, buy the gushy thing you know your significant other, family member or friend might want, and tell them you love them. If, however, this is the only time you ever show anyone you care, and it's because you're expected to on the 14th of February, that's really sad.

3. I already have enough stuffed animals.

I would appreciate anything someone gave me because they were thinking of me, no doubt, but I'd rather it be full of thought than a cheesy stuffed animal I have no room for in my house (unless it's a stuffed elephant because my future SO would know I love elephants). Write me a letter, make me my favorite dinner, watch my favorite movie with me, or if you want to spoil me, do that-just no giant teddy bear just because it was in the Valentine's Day section of the CVS down the street.

4. Restaurants/movie theaters/etc. are TOO CROWDED on Valentine's Day.

Unless you make a reservation in advance, we will wait FOREVER. Anyone that knows me knows I get cranky when I'm hungry or forced into a crowd of people. Not a great date night.

SEE ALSO: 22 Ways To Practice Self-Care In 2018 That Are NOT Bubble Baths And Face Masks

5. Day-after chocolate.

I like to take advantage of the fact that stores buy WAY too much-themed merchandise for holidays, and therefore when they inevitably have this surplus, they mark it down the day after. So, when the grocery stores say 50% off for Russell Stover, this girl's going IN, with no one to judge her for buying it.

6. No disappointments.

Okay, I know this one looks bad at first glance. Hear me out:

I put thought into gifts. Some presents I've given may not have been right on the money for some people, but you can at least tell I tried to put something together. I like to get a few things that the person I'm buying or crafting a gift for likes, and put a sentimental spin on it.

Even though there have been times that I cannot stand the things that my significant other liked, I still made an attempt to get something HE liked, not something that only I liked and wanted him to like. I've heard of people who put no thought into something for someone else, or perhaps worse, they'll buy something they enjoy for their boyfriend or girlfriend.

For instance, some people buy non-sports-fans season tickets to their own favorite team's games, because they enjoy going and the "We can go together!" idea is their defense. Yes, Chad, we can go to a game together, because I know you enjoy it, but not the WHOLE SEASON.

7. Excuse to save money.

Not that I really mind spoiling my boyfriends when I have them or spotting them sometimes for date nights, but ya girl is a bargain hunter and the best way to save money for your date on Valentine's Day is to not have one. Sure, it'd be nice to have someone to cuddle up with and be mushy with, but if I don't have that person, I can use the money I saved on a present for that nonexistent mister to buy myself something nice. Or spend some of it on the marked-down candy.

I'm sure all of this sounds cynical, and perhaps it is, but I'm of the opinion that Valentine's Day, while adorably romantic, is just another day. If you care about someone, the love you're showing should be thoughtful and year-round, not just one day in February.