Vaping Is Not Smoking

Vaping Is Not Smoking

Vaping 101: The Community and Love That the Products Have Created

40
Vaping Is Not Smoking

“Vaping” is a consumer-driven business that is often misunderstood, but it is enjoyed by many, saving lives, creating a supportive community— and it is one of the fastest growing industries in the history of American business.

Herbert A. Gilbert filed the first electronic cigarette patent in 1963. Gilbert’s design included a patent on flavor cartridges as well as heating elements for vapor. Gilbert believed that inhaling smoke was dangerous and that there was a better alternative to smoking, but smoking was so popular and the health risks and addiction of smoking weren’t yet taken seriously so the potential for the electronic technology wasn’t dreamt up until 2006, when Hon Lik, a Chinese medical researcher that was tired of being addicted to smoking, released the first “e-cigarette.”

Lik’s invention really did begin with a dream. After forgetting to wear his nicotine patch one night, Lik dreamt that he was drowning and the water he was struggling in turned into vapor that he could breathe. He then used his medical and engineering expertise to turn his dream into reality.

After Lik’s release of the first e-cigarette, the industry took off and is becoming so beloved by those that try it that most have become advocates and treat “vaping” as a hobby with its own following and jargon, where there is constant collecting, upgrading, and improving. Vaping has been around for less than 10 years, but in 2014 the industry grossed over $2 billion. The first Vape Summit in November, 2014 took place in Houston, TX and had hundreds of vendors and approximately 10,000 visitors.

The products started with small cigarette-looking devices but consumers wanted higher performing gadgets. The desire for better products turned into bigger and more powerful Box Mods, Unregulated Mechanical Mods (Modified Electronic Cigarette), and RDAs (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers.) Mods house the batteries and regulated Mods control electrical output to metal coils that heat the "juice" on cotton wicks. Unregulated Mods use whatever power the battery puts out. However, because the ohms and wattage aren’t controlled, they can be dangerous to someone that doesn’t know much about electrical currents and resistance. There are plenty of tutorials online to help in making sure that the correct range is achieved. Tanks and RDAs hold the "juice," coils and wicking. Products continue to improve as technology gets more advanced and people learn more about how to make better devices.

Expert "Vapers" educate others on proper safety techniques. Mods should always be turned off before placed in pockets or purses so buttons aren't accidentally pushed down. Lithium batteries are used and should never be put in pockets or anywhere loosely that can lead to friction or batteries touching, but rather housed in cases that can be bought in vaping stores. Whenever there is a story of an accident happening, Vapers are horrified because it is almost always battery safety that causes these preventable incidents.

Vapers are constantly coming up with their own improvements and ideas for devices by modifying products. The goal is to gain better flavor and higher amounts of vapor, or “clouds.” Current popular devices began with one Vaper modifying a common flashlight to more powerfully and efficiently heat juice. Some Vapers pride themselves in making devices out of anything from wood blocks to DeWalt drill-bit cases. The word "vape" was coined because Vapers wanted a way to deviate from calling vapor devices e-cigarettes or relating them to smoking in any way. Because vaping helps people to quit smoking and looks just like smoking, most people see it as another way to smoke. However, for Vapers, it’s usually a simple and fun way to relieve stress or pass time. Some Vapers have never smoked cigarettes but enjoy vaping. “It’s just fun.” says Jon, a 29-year-old customer who has never tried a cigarette. “Vaping is not smoking,” is a quote that has become the slogan for vape lovers. The vapor that is emitted from these devices is just a heated liquid, much as water is boiled and turned into steam. And unlike smoke, it is not attracted to heat. It doesn't stay in clothes and hair, or in buildings like smoke does, and it certainly doesn't smell like smoke or harm others the way that cigarette smoke does.

Some Vapers are angered that vaping is still seen by so many people as just another way of smoking. These Vapers make it a point to educate people on the pastime. “It’s vapor—completely different from any type of smoke.” Justin White, Manager at Mad Vapes in Abilene, TX, and an active advocate says, “Vaping is nothing like smoking, other than the fact that it looks like smoke to someone that isn’t educated about it.” Another employee looks up from under his “Vote Vapor” baseball hat and the paperwork he’s sorting. Even so, Vapers try to be as respectful as possible when vaping, to help promote a better image. Vapers have had to fight against bogus studies funded by "Big Tobacco," upset that they have been losing money to the vaping industry— there are many reasons why Vapers have become passionate advocates.

Vapor juice is not a tobacco product— it is composed of food grade ingredients found in many other products that humans consume and absorb on a daily basis. There are only four ingredients in vapor juice: the flavor, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and nicotine— if you want it. There are over 6,000 chemicals in cigarette smoke. At least we know what we are inhaling. Vaping is saving lives and helping former smokers breathe again.” A large number of Vapers don’t get juices with nicotine in them, but rather only flavors such as banana and mixed flavors named cleverly like “Plum Island” or "Hulk Smash."

Local stores become "hangout" spots for vaping lovers and these stores make sure to follow regulations to keep their love for the ingenious invention alive, as well as the vaping family that has been created through the community support that vaping has began. Owners and employees in the vaping industry are benefiting from a craze that is creating a whole new world of business for many. Vaping is a huge marketing, manufacturing, and networking opportunity that doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon. "It gave me a new chance, a whole new opportunity," says London Martinez, who is beginning to take his locally beloved juice, "London's Fogg," international.

Recently, credible research was completed to give Vapers some hope that the world may begin to see just how much safer vaping is than smoking and just how different it is. At the same time, regulations may become more strict, but it's a fight that Vapers believe in and Vapers will always follow just rules. From those that are breathing easier and enjoying the fun, hats are tipped to Gilbert and Lik— if only the ideas and dreams of these men would've become a reality much sooner.