Valuable Lessons Learned From Growing Up With A Single Mom

My mom will always be my superhero.

3
Madison Rose

Growing up with a single mom made my brother and I learn valuable lessons that made us the individuals we are today. Still, my brother and I joke about how my mom is both the mom and dad wrapped in one super parent. I am grateful she raised me to be the woman I am today. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish my goals and dreams, if it wasn't for her motivating me.

1. I learned that gender doesn't dictate your parental role.

Being raised by a single parent showed me that the word "gender" doesn't define or dictate your parental role. My mom did everything from the cooking, to driving, killing spiders, taking her children to doctors appointments, teaching us how to ride a bike and did all the housework. She did it all and never complained once. Growing up, I started to understand that women and men have an equal amount for nurturing and love their children. Thus, there are no parent rule books that tell you to stick to your gender parental role.

2. I learned that hard work pays off.

My mother has always inspired me to work as hard as I can with anything and everything that comes along my way. Therefore, it will pay off in the future. Ever since, I was a little girl I remember being amazed that my mom had time to work three jobs and still managed taking care of her children, and showing them affection.

3. I learned that children from divorced parents aren't "damaged."

Just because others and I come from a single household, doesn't mean we are "damaged" at all. In my opinion, I believe that it made us stronger because we learned at a young age to be independent and not to always rely on others for everything.

4. Lastly, I learned to be resilient.

From growing up with a single mom, I saw how resilient she had to be at times for her children. My mother had to forgive my absent parent and work both parenting jobs. Accepting and realizing that she was a single parent made her become resilient for herself and children.