Valentines Day: A Love-Hate Relationship

How to love it, how to hate it and how to enjoy with it.

46

Love it or hate it, V-day comes around every year on Feb.14, and there’s no getting around it! Some love the surprise of gifts and romance while others loathe that it’s even on a national calendar. Valentine’s Day has a stigma to it that the holiday is meant only for couples, which is likely where all of the angst comes from.

Relationships/PDA:

So many factors contribute to why someone loves or hates this day, but let’s start off with relationships. First, we’ll begin with why people love it. There is a whole day dedicated to you and your special someone to be mushy all day. An extra number of hugs, kisses and smiley faces are exchanged with one another in private, but PDA rates soar as a result. This leads me to why some may hate it; that last example could also be used as ammo to hate V-day as well. This holiday could also act as a reminder that a person is single or that they wish they were with a certain person. Let’s all remember that you can have platonic relationships, too! Instead, give a sweet note to your roommate or BFF if you don’t currently have a significant other (or if you do and are just feelin’ nice). Spread the love, not the hate.

Gift-giving:

Just through the gates of the new year and we already need to find a gift for someone again?! This might be an argument coming from the person holding a "down with V-day" poster. They also might throw in a “why do I need to get him/her a gift to prove I care?” This can be interpreted in different ways depending on your idea of a good gift, but those that appreciate Valentine's Day might say that it’s the thought that matters, not the physical gift. Again, not receiving a gift or having someone to give a gift to might impact someone’s perception of the holiday.

Ways to enjoy the day:

Relationships/PDA and gift-giving are the main topics of conversation regarding Valentine's Day, but there are ways to get around the hatred for this holiday. Instead of wasting energy telling everyone how terrible this day is, make it fun for you. Grab a group of single (or not single) friends and go to a group dinner. They’re your friends, so you likely care about them! Put together an exchange of notes or small gift bag filled with chocolate.

Another way to help elevate this controversial day is to have a V-Day party (or anti-V-day party). Host a get-together with friends and ask each person to bring a Valentine’s Day-inspired treat. There are so many ways to enjoy this day rather than hate it for the rest of your life. Find some people to share it with and it could become one of your favorite holidays!