11 Vacation Spots You've Never Considered, And You're Missing Out
Travel

Put these locales on your bucket list.

240

Most of us have a place in the world we want to visit more than anywhere else. Maybe for you, it's Toyko, Japan, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France, or the Great Wall of China. However, there are places all around the world that are worth visiting at least once and that hold beautiful sites, fascinating history, and incredible adventures.

Let's dive into a few of these locales that you should definitely add to your travel bucket list:

1. Thailand

Wat Arun temple in Bangkok, Thailand

OK, so Thailand is fairly well visited, but compared to other countries in Asia, Thailand (and Southeast Asia in general) often get left out. Full of countless temples, wildlife, and a vibrant urban life, Thailand is certainly worth a visit.

2. Ireland

Trinity College Dublin

This is my personal number-one in my travel bucket list. While, again, Ireland receives its fair share of tourists, unlike many other countries in Europe, Ireland often gets overlooked. Ireland holds absolutely breathtaking landscapes, history that is rich and tragic, and friendly people. It's pretty much impossible to be bored in Ireland.

3. Colombia

Castillo de Cartagena (Cartagena Castle) in Cartagena, Colombia

Colombia hasn't always had the best reputation for tourism. However, Colombia is a stunning country and unlike many people in the US believe, perfectly safe to visit.

4. Croatia

Dubrovnik, Croatia

This country in the Balkans has some of the most stunning beaches in Europe and is a perfect getaway for those who want a rustic European feel without a bunch of tourists.

5. Nigeria

Town in Southern Nigeria

African countries in general often get left out of tourism, but Nigeria is a beautiful country in West Africa and boasts the largest city in all of Africa, Lagos.

6. Belize

Blue Hole National Park in Cayo District, Belize

Belize is that country you've probably heard of, but have absolutely no idea where it is. Located in Central America, this country has stunning beaches, rainforests, and Mayan ruins.

7. Argentina

Lago Puelo (Puelo Lake)

Another South American country that is often overlooked for it's neighbor to the North, Brazil. Argentina is one of the few countries in the world where you can visit a modern and vibrant city, but also see penguins in the Southern part of the country.

8. Moldova

Chi Stefan Park in Chisinaum Moldova

Moldova is one of the world's least visited countries, but this Eastern European country has distinct charm. Known for it's established wine industry, this is certainly a country one can relax without all the hustle and bustle.

9. Montserrat

Little Bay, Montserrat

Montserrat is a Caribbean Island and not often visited due to a volcanic eruption that destroyed much of the island and the capital city in 1995. The island is still constructing the new capital and the southern part of the island is not safe for travel. These unique circumstances make this island an interesting destination and can help fund their economy as they continue to rebuild.

10. Sierra Leone

Freetown, Sierra Leone

Sierra Leone is a Western African nation that is hardly visited formerly for its Civil War and other unrest and most recently due to the outbreak of Ebola. However, this country boasts beautiful beaches and the capital of Freetown is extremely ethnically diverse. Tourist attractions include those revolving around the slave trade and colonialism, which make this a destination that carries weight but is completely worth it.

11. Dominica

Southern tip of Dominica

Another Caribbean island, Dominica is small and not often visited, but boasts hot springs, breathtaking scenery, and French and English architecture. This tiny nation is worth the trip.

12. Bangladesh

Madhabkunda waterfall

Often overlooked for it's more popular and larger neighbor, India, Bangladesh is a small country that packs a punch. It has temples, monasteries, beaches, urban centers, palaces, and natural phenomena.

13. Puerto Rico

Fort San Felipe del Morro

While it's quite likely you've thought about going to Puerto Rico and it's certainly a place you have heard of, I add it to this list because they need tourists. In order to rebuild Puerto Rico after the devastating Hurricane Maria hit the island. Tourism is one of the backbones of their economy and essential for Puerto Rico at the moment. And, if you're a US citizen, you do not need a passport to visit!