PSA To All Incoming College Freshman, Pick The 'Useless' Major Of Your Dreams, You'll Be Happier

It's not all about STEM, folks.

195
Abigail Huse

Going into my first attempt at attending college, I was a declared journalism and psychology double major. I was concerned about taking a "fluffy" major in journalism as hundreds of internet articles over the years have dubbed it as a dying career. I rectified this by declaring psychology as a career path to fall back on, assuming that would be the major I'd use to earn my living.

I had no idea what I was doing with both of those majors. I didn't know how to answer people when they asked what I planned to do in the future. I didn't know the connection between the two fields, except that I could maybe write for some sort of mental health journal? After all, I'm awful at science, so I sure as hell wasn't going to focus on the technical aspect of psychology.

I didn't know what I was doing, but I was too worried about going into college "undeclared" to explore other options. I didn't want to disappoint anybody by declaring something I "wouldn't have a future with."

I've just finished my freshman year as a women, gender, and sexuality studies student, and I couldn't be happier with my "useless" major.

I have a definitive plan for my future, involving graduate school and law school before a (hopeful) career as a civil rights attorney. I didn't have that as a journalism and psych major.

I can speak passionately about my course of study and all that it entails. I couldn't do that with journalism and psych (not that I didn't appreciate the disciplines, they just weren't right for me at that time).

I genuinely believe that I am at the right university, studying the subjects that will help me make a difference in my future. I didn't feel that with journalism and psychology.

I'm not alone in these revelations, either. According to a poll by Gallup done last year, 36% of American college graduates would pursue a different major if given the opportunity to redo their education. I refused to regret four years of my life by choosing a major simply for the societal clout rather than personal interest and aspirations, and I urge each and every incoming college freshman to do the same.

To my fellow women, gender, and sexuality studies students, your major is incredible. Without you, counselors, human rights journalists, advocates for sexual and domestic abuse, attorneys, and crisis interventionists wouldn't have as strong a presence as they do. You are wonderful, and we need you.

I'm talking to you, film students. Your major is vital. Without you, we wouldn't have film directors, camera operators, location managers, or community arts workers. An essential piece to the puzzle of American entertainment would be missing if film majors ceased to exist. You are wonderful, and we need you.

I'm looking at you, philosophy students. Your major is indispensable, and is incredible on it's own, or as a supplement to another field of study. Without you, we wouldn't have professors, paralegals, community development workers, or ethic-driven healthcare and business employees. You are wonderful, and we need you.

I'm rooting for you, religion and theology students. Your major is crucial. Without you, compassionate and culturally understanding nurses, CIA/FBI agents with understanding of cult motives, marriage counselors, and school teachers wouldn't be as prevalent. You are wonderful, and we need you.

I'm cheering for you, music students. Your major isn't useless. Without you, there wouldn't be any music teachers in elementary, middle, and high schools. There wouldn't be music therapists, sound technicians, or broadcast engineers, again, throwing a wrench in the entertainment business of America. You are wonderful, and we need you.

I'm in your corner, fine art students. Your major is valuable. Without you, illustrators, interior designers, museum curators, and school teachers wouldn't exist in the capacity that they do. You are essential to the artistic culture of this country, and we need you.

I've got your back, performing arts students. Your major is important. Without you, we wouldn't have choreographers, actors, film directors, school teachers and professors, or stage managers. You are necessary for American society. You are wonderful, and we need you.

I'm on your side, language students. Your major is absolutely necessary. Without you, there wouldn't be interpreters, aid workers, diplomatic service officers, or tour managers. You play a critical part in communication between cultures. You are wonderful, and we need you.

College is the perfect time for self-discovery and growth - why should your major be an exception to this journey? Study what you want, and what will allow you to achieve your career goals. This is your future, your interests, and your time. Take control of it, and study what makes you happy.