People Need To Use Social Media To Inspire The World Instead Of Causing More Problems

Remember that words can be used to support and hurt others.

42
Social Media

No matter how much you try to escape from it, social media is part of our daily lives. It is can be used to promote a business, connect with friends, share memories, and entertain the world. However, like all things it also has negative consequences depending on your actions.

I decided to join different social media platforms to keep in touch with friends and family. While discussing interests and currents events is acceptable, there is also a dark side to social media. I often see users complain about their daily lives, making insults, and arguing about the dumbest things with their friends or total strangers. Free speech is okay, but there needs to be a limit. Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat have gotten so big that the companies seem to have become unaware of what does or does not violate the basic human rights of their users. I have noticed that content (which is not offensive) is often reported by triggered users while the more inappropriate comments, tweets, images, and memes are ignored.

As children, we are taught how to be respectful and to maintain a positive mindset, even during bad days. Now, those lessons are seldom used when a majority of users go online. It can be frustrating if you have to constantly go to profiles or Facebook groups with users that literally share the same interests and beliefs as you do in order to avoid criticism from trolls or even people you know. If you try posting something on your own profile or as a response to a comment, you will likely get insulted for expressing your views like other users often do. When it comes to social media, the scariest thing (besides Facebook reminder posts) are opinions that are not your own. They tend to freak users out like tuition does with college students.

It seems that if something is popular (even for a short time), everyone will most likely jump on social media and express their views because they just cannot resist it. What is crazy is how users can post about weird things, but if someone is thinking of promoting their business or startup, the reactions and share buttons disappear. Unless you are discussing politics, the buttons remain hidden until the next scandal, dramatic TV moment or political story is released. People love using social media to connect with others, but they continue to become less social the more they use it. Users will often post about stories they heard (mostly about A-list celebrities) without hearing both sides. Before realizing they over-exaggerated, the person involved is already embarrassed or had their privacy violated since the posts spread like wildfire.

Another thing that I notice on social media is how users find something to turn into a made-up problem in order to claim victory for solving it. People need to start using social media to initiate change in the world like fighting for climate change, the poor, and our veterans instead of using an expensive iPhone to complain online about how your life is terrible. Keep fighting to protect the Earth and the people that live on it. Call politicians or arrange meetups with friends, and take time away from social media to help make a difference in the world, unless you are explicitly using the platforms to raise money for a charity or attract customers for your startup business.

Social or political issues can only be resolved by going out and making a change with the help of others, not by making childish remarks or insults to users who do not agree with you. Social media should not be used to threaten, encourage violence or start riots for unimportant things. It is healthy to debate on certain problems, but remembers to research and use facts/logic. If you cannot defend your argument and have to resort to acting like a bully then you already lost. These platforms were created for people to share thoughts, moments, and accomplishments, but it is used for more than just that. Make sure to use social media responsibly and with a positive mindset because if you do not, then just like alcohol or gambling, it will turn you into an addictive, hate-filled person with a closed-mind and no morality.

Next time you decide to go on social media, try not to start arguments. Encourage positive thinking and have fun. Do not cyberbully or make others feel bad. How we communicate online can have good and bad consequences. Will you choose to support or hurt someone? The decision is up to you.