5 Ways to Up Your Game Night Game

5 Ways to Up Your Game Night Game

Let the games begin.

25
5 Ways to Up Your Game Night Game
midlammminiatures

If you're anything like my friends and me, the struggle of possessing meager athletic talent, living in an uninteresting suburb, and not having enough money to get out of said suburb means that most nights together end up in a circle around someone's living room table playing games. A week ago, my friends and I took our love for all things games a step further by making a day trip out to Berkeley's Victory Point Café, a small shop whose back wall is entirely covered with over 800 games to enjoy. After a couple (5) hours of sampling, I bring you 5 new games to up your game night.

1. The loser game.

While a little out-dated (cards mention phone-belt holsters and having maps in your car), this is a great game for "people who are fine with laughing at themselves and others". Play this game to start off the night right. It's a great icebreaker, and a great test to see how dorky your friends actually are.

2. Snake oil.

This one's for fans of Cards Against Humanity. Snake Oil's premise is pretty simple, everyone takes turns being a certain kind of client (sorority girl, gravedigger, babysitter, etc.) and the group finds pairs of the words in their hands and give their best pitches. Highlights of our games include: "You, babysitter, want these magnet wings, lost your kids? Hold up a big magnet and there they are." Play this game in a group that's comfortable enough with each other to be the worst salesman ever.

3. Avalon.

A good choice for fans of resistance, mafia, and accusing their friends of murder. Avalon is a game set in Arthurian times and everyone gets to call themselves a knight, Merlin, or assassin for a round. Try to root out the assassins before they spoil the mission. The game guru at Victory Point recommends this game for the sound of mind (read: not drunk), ask him to tell you stories about this game for a good time.

4. Game of things.

This is the game to test a friendship. The premise of the game is to be able to match a thought process to a friend. Play this game to see who you really know, who knows you, and who has a weirder mind than you could've possibly imagined.

5. Once upon a time.

The game for the storytellers in the group. This is a quick thinking game where the group is building a story together using different story elements. Each player has his or her own fairytale ending to steer the story towards. Let the highly illogical storytelling begin!