The Unfortunate Truth Of Third Party Candidates

Why you should consider the function of your vote before you cast your ballot for a third party candidate.

33
The Daily Beast

In an increasingly polarizing and divisive political system, third parties provide a way for people to articulate their opinions more accurately. In theory, they further democratize American politics by creating a fairer, more just system where more voices can be heard, as well as by providing an outlet for those who do not wish to back either of the main party candidates. Moreover, third party candidates bring attention to important issues, forcing main party candidates to prioritize these issues as well.

We are currently in an incredibly contentious election, with many people unhappy with both major party candidates. As a result, third party candidates such as Jill Stein and Gary Johnson are gaining momentum among dissatisfied Americans. But however tempting a third party candidate may be, it is important to take a look at the reality of third parties, and the function of your vote if you were to vote for one of these candidates.

In America, the president is elected by votes in the electoral college, and not by the popular vote; each state has electoral votes based on its population, and the state’s votes are given to whichever candidate has the largest plurality of votes. So, even if a third party candidate receives a somewhat significant portion of the national popular vote, the odds of that candidate winning pluralities in a majority of the states is virtually impossible. For instance, in 1992, Ross Perot, running independently against George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton, won almost 19% of the popular vote — an astonishing result for a third party candidate — yet did not carry a single state in the electoral college.

It is unfortunate that third parties are so ineffective in the American system, because our two party system is quite limiting on free political expression and, in theory, third parties are conducive to advancing democracy, and often support extremely valid viewpoints that deserve political representation. But in reality, third party candidates generally support ideologies that are too narrow to attract wide audiences, and cannot gain enough widespread support to win elections.

If you support a third party candidate, your opinions are completely valid, and I am in no way trying to belittle or invalidate them. I truly, truly wish that third parties worked, because everyone deserves a voice in the government, regardless of if that voice is affiliated with the Republican or Democratic party. But I urge you to really consider your vote before you cast your ballot for a third party candidate, because that vote can be extremely dangerous.

When you vote for a third party candidate that has, in truth, no chance of winning, that vote doesn’t just go to waste; it does something much more powerful. Third parties generally support platforms that are more radical and/or more specific forms of main party ideologies, so their candidates often attract support from the radical fringes of those parties. Thus, third party candidates take votes from the party that they share basic beliefs with, potentially altering the election results. This infamously occurred in 2002, when the Green Party’s Ralph Nader drew votes from people who would otherwise have supported the Democratic nominee, Al Gore. Although Al Gore won the popular vote, George W. Bush ultimately won the presidency because without those votes that Nader had won, Al Gore lost in the electoral college by a slim margin.

In this election cycle, the stakes are even higher. On Steve Harvey’s radio show, President Obama said, “If you don’t vote that’s a vote for Trump. If you vote for a third party candidate that’s a vote for Trump.” Put simply, third party candidates will take votes away from Hillary Clinton, heightening Donald Trump's chances of winning this election. Gary Johnson and Jill Stein both offer progressive platforms. Whether its climate change, civil liberties, job reform, or any other policy issue, it’s clear to see that, while different in many aspects, the Democratic party has more of your interests in mind than does the Republican party. And it is painstakingly clear that Donald Trump is not the person who will fight for what you care about. Trump will not fight for the rights of minorities, but will encourage the disenfranchisement, discrimination, and, quite frankly, hate we have seen blossoming within his supporters. If you support Jill Stein, know that he will not fight climate change. In the past, he has repeatedly said that global warming is “hoax” created by the Chinese. His most recent stance, as stated by his campaign manager on September 27th, 2016 is that climate change exists, but is naturally occurring and not influenced by human activity. If you support Gary Johnson’s policies for worker’s rights, know that he will not fight for the rights of workers. In building up his enterprise, he has left behind a slew of unpaid workers, broken promises, and lawsuits that he knows he will win, because he has the money to do so (watch this incredibly powerful video to hear more about this. For the record, I am aware that this is a Hillary Clinton ad, so it is obviously a biased source.)

Your third party candidates are valid, and support fantastic platforms that address exceedingly important issues in society. Your voice is important. But by casting a vote for your third party candidate, you are voting against the more progressive platform, and voting for someone who goes against many of the beliefs and principles of these third party candidates. Your vote for a third party candidate will not get he or she in office, but it may get Donald Trump in office. And if you support one of the impressive third party candidates that are running, I highly doubt you support Trump, or want him in the Oval Office. So this November, I urge you to get out and vote, and consider that vote very carefully.