The Mets: Optimism For 2016

The Mets: Optimism For 2016

The future is bright for the New York Mets.

15
The Mets: Optimism For 2016

Many fans had doubts that the Mets could even make it to the World Series. Sports fans everywhere thought the Washington Nationals would clinch the National League East Division, that the Dodgers would annihilate the Mets in the National League Division Series, and banked on the Cubs winning the pennant. The Mets were able to do the unthinkable and prove everyone wrong.

Met fans everywhere were disappointed in their World Series loss against the Kansas City Royals. The Mets made many fatal errors that contributed to their loss. While fans are down about the loss, there are many reasons why they should look forward to the future of the Mets.

The Pitching Staff

The starting pitchers consist of players: Matt Harvey, Noah Syndergaard, Jacob deGrom, Jonathon Niese, and Steven Matz. All with fairly low ERAs, deGrom with the lowest in 2015, at 2.54. All five of the starting pitchers are capable of throwing over 95 mph fastballs, Syndergaard is able to reach triple digits.

We will also have Zack Wheeler back in July. Wheeler was out for the season, in March he underwent Tommy John surgery. In 2014, Wheeler had an estimated ERA of 3.54.

Young Players

While the Mets have several veteran players that have stuck around throughout the years, we also have hopeful rookies that have proven themselves.

During the World Series game four, Michael Conforto hit two home runs against Royal's pitcher, Chris Young. Conforto was even able to hit a home run off of Los Angeles Dodger's pitcher, Zack Greinke in game 2 of the National League Division Series. Greinke's era in the regular season was 1.66, which intimidated many Met fans.

The Mets also have players who were not on the roster for the post season, such as 21-year-old second baseman, Dilson Herrera. In 2015 Herrera achieved an RBI of 6, and was able to get three home runs. Herrera made an impressive dive and throw to short stop, Wilmer Flores, in a game against the Atlanta Braves.

Starting pitcher, Noah Syndergaard is only 23 years old, which gives him a lot of room for improvement. Syndergaard's overall 2015 ERA is 3.24, he pitched the Mets to victory during game 3 of the World Series.

Terry Collin's Contract

Terry Collins has recently agreed to renewing his contract with the Mets to manage them for two more years. Collins was able to lead the Mets to their first National League Pennant in 15 years. Collins will continue to make wise and careful decisions with his met line-up.

The Kansas City Royals made it to the World Series in 2014, and lost against the San Fransisco Giants. The Royals won the World Series this year with the same manager, Ned Yost. What's to say we don't have a chance in 2016?