7 Things You Understand If You're The Only Child

Despite how close you are with your parents, there is something to be said about the the lack of siblings.

417
Author's photo

Being an only child certainly has its pros and cons. Although you get all the attention as the only adolescent in your home, things can get boring and lonely quite quickly. Despite how close you are with your parents, there is something to be said about the relationship siblings have with each other that you miss out on as an only child.

While some people love being an only child and others hate it, there are some things we can all agree on, and here are seven of them.

1. Your cousins quickly become like siblings.

Especially if your cousins live as close to you as some of mine do to me, in no time at all, they become equivalent to siblings. In a child’s eyes, there are “kids” and there are “grown-ups,” and kids seem to automatically bond with other kids. So, at family events, children without siblings cling to their cousins as their only grasp at a child-like connection.

2. ...and so do your parents.

For anyone who knows my family, you know that this one applies more to my dad than to my mom. By being silly, funny and youthful, my father’s adolescence has supported him in filling the role of a sibling for me.

3. Immediate family vacations are rough.

When your dad wants to golf and your mom wants to read a magazine by the pool, as an only child, you are left without anyone to play with. Likewise, at night, there’s no one to explore the hotel with or stay up all night talking to. If you want to hang out with anyone even relatively close to your own age, you’re going to have to make some new friends.

4. The house can get pretty lonely.

If your parents work full time like mine do, you’re almost always home alone. Whenever you’re stuck inside, like on a snow day or a holiday, it can be pretty quiet and lonely without a sibling to play with.

5. But you don't have to share clothes!

Siblings that have similar styles know that stealing clothes from each other is a habitual behavior. Despite the arguments between the siblings and the subsequent punishments from parents, snatching clothes from each other is fated. As an only child, you aren't forced to share your clothes or shoes with anyone!

6. AND there's extra space for all of your stuff!

Sure, being an only child sucks sometimes, but with no sibling to share a room or closet with, you maximize the capacity of your home with all of your own belongings. My parents are constantly complaining about the fact that I’ve taken over the whole house with all of my stuff. However, I don’t have to compete to share the space with anyone else. If I want to use the basement as extra storage for off-season clothes, I don’t have to brawl with anyone to claim the space.

7. But best of all, you get the love and attention from your parents all to yourself.

Being an only child has its ups and downs, but being the sole receiver of the love and attention from your parents is definitely a plus.