Most ridiculous college classes I can't believe exist

You will never believe these 12 classes that are available to uSC students

Yes, you really can pay $100,000 a year to take a class in Wheel Throwing!

4173

College classes aren't just about learning to write academically or crunch numbers. They are also a chance to expand your breadth of knowledge, to explore new fields and delve into topics you've never even considered before. I am probably the worst dancer I know, but I personally feel my college experience wouldn't be complete without taking a class in Bollywood Dance some time before I graduate, because why not?

My dad, a former Zoology major, used to talk about a Jazz Studies course that changed his life, and my best friend from high school, a Spanish major, told me horror stories of a Group Piano class that stressed her out more than any math class she'd ever been in.

And, why not take that kitchy college class while you still can? It might be the only opportunity you get, after all, to shamelessly learn about something completely random and funny for a few hours a week. If you're paying tuition, you might as well take the opportunity to explore as many subjects as you can.

But, there comes a point where the "random and funny" aspect can go a little too far. From harp-playing to wheel-throwing, here are 12 USC classes I had to actually stop and ask myself why they exist, or why anyone would possibly register for them, when I saw them in the course guide for the first time.

Note: This article is strictly humorous. I am not including these classes to put down anyone's major or field of study. I think some of these classes are pretty legendary, and am even taking a few of them, myself (no shame).

CTCS-469: Keanu Reeves - That Is All

"Intensive study of the style of an auteur, studio, film or television making mode in terms of thematic and formal properties and their influences upon the art of film."

I mean, he's an influential guy, but does he really deserve an entire class dedicated to his films? Unclear.

THTR-290: Intro to Medical Clowning

"Explores the art of clowning in hospitals for the purpose of improving the well-being of those in need."

I see the good intention. But I don't see myself getting up at 8 a.m. to learn how to put on clown gear.

HIST-405: Traveling in the Early Medieval Mediterranean

"Investigates the movement of people, products and ideas in the early medieval Mediterranean."

You know those classes that are so specific, you can't imagine there would enough material to span an entire semester without being super dense or repetitive? Yeah.

PHED-115: Surfing

"Fundamental instruction of surfing skills; water safety and wave etiquette; wave recognition and forecast interpretation; surf culture; board selection; surf related strengthening and conditioning."

Yup. You can do that.

PHED-124: Walking for Fitness

"Develop a strong fitness foundation through walking; fitness assessment and individualized programs; gait biomechanics and power walking; injury prevention; strategies for special populations."

Like, I get it, but I also don't.

ARCH-481: Furniture Design

"An investigation into 20th century furniture design and its relationships to architecture, art and design."

Okay, I see how this topic would be important to architecture majors, but it still makes me laugh.

MOR-569: Negotiation and Deal-Making

"Strategies and dynamics of deal-making; practical skills necessary to win in a range of business transactions conducted in domestic and international settings. Cases, role-playing, films and simulations."

All I can think of is Donald Trump. Not in a good way.

MPST-163: Beginning Harp

"Basic instruction in the fundamentals of solo harp playing, note reading, and basic musicianship. Open to music and non-music majors."

What is this possibly applicable to, in any sort of situation that exists?

CTWR-431: The Harry Potter Franchise: Adaptation, Ethics, Genre, and the Magic of Story

"Over the course of the semester through lectures, screenings, and guests, we'll determine what makes the story of Harry Potter so universal and why we are all friends with the Boy Who Lived."

I'd actually take this one, not gonna lie.

THTR-423: Magic

"The dramatic art of making an audience believe something is impossible. the history and performance of magic including illusion, mentalism, vanishing, coin and card tricks."

If the Harry Potter class wasn't enough for you, you can go all-out and become a real-life wizard.

ART-230: Wheel Throwing

"An introductory course using wheel throwing techniques for ceramics to explore a variety of forms through three-dimensional exercises."

I would take for the sole purpose of getting to tell people I took a class called "Wheel Throwing."

COMM-499: Communicating About Sex

"Sexual identity, friends with benefits, committed sexual relationships, mediated depictions of sex, consent and coercion, sex in the digital age, sex and substances, norms and taboos, hookups."

Okay, I know this is an important topic, but I feel like in this class, things would get real personal real fast.

If you ever decide to take any of these classes, all I can say is, your tuition is being spent well, my friend.