Your Guide For The Ultimate Winter Weekend In NYC

It's time to spread some Christmas cheer!

67
pexels.com

Maybe you’re like Buddy the Elf. Did you pass through seven levels of the candy cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops and then walk through the Lincoln Tunnel?

Well if you did, you made it the Big Apple and there’s no better place to experience Christmas than New York City. Let’s not be cotton headed ninny muggins. Here’s what you shouldn’t miss on your next trip this winter!

1. Rockefeller Center

Nothing is more magical than watching the tree lighting in Rockefeller center. This massive 75 foot Norway Spruce hails from State College, PA, where it’s decorated in over 50,000 lights and topped with the iconic Swarovski star. It’s impossible to visit Manhattan during winter and not take a picture in front of the tree. Even if it’s not the big day, Rockefeller is the perfect way to spend your afternoon - tourist or not.

2. Breakfast at Tiffany's

Who hasn’t dreamt of eating a croissant and sipping a coffee, while drooling over diamonds? Well, now you can! The Blue Box Cafe is now open on the fourth floor of Fifth avenue’s Tiffany & Co. This Christmas season we can all live through our Audrey Hepburn fantasies. Head up to the famous store and brave the wait time.

Once seated, in what will probably feel like actually being inside the famous blue box, you’ll look out and see a grand view of Central Park. I couldn’t imagine anything more fabulous than sitting at Tiffany’s, enjoying a cappuccino with no worries in the world.

3. Ice Skating

Besides the upcoming holidays, ice skating is the only reason why I don’t despise winter and the frigid weather. Manhattan is home to over a handful of amazing ice rinks that are just waiting for you. Of course the most popular will be Rockefeller Center, because let's be real; what screams Christmas more than ice skating under that big beautiful tree?

Rockefeller is the most expensive rink due to its high volume. During the peak of the season, you can end up spending $32 on admission alone and another $12 to rent skates. Thankfully there are plenty of cheaper and less crowded rinks to choose from.

Wollman Rink, better recognized as the one in Central Park, captures the real beauty of NYC in winter, especially if it just snowed. With fall coming to an end and daylight becoming shorter, we're given more of an opportunity to stargaze which sometimes feels impossible in the bright light city that never sleeps. So after your many spins around the ice, curl up in a cute carriage ride around Central Park and watch the stars.

4. Holiday markets

Bryant Park Winter Village has opened their holiday shops for the season. After you finish a few laps on their rink, you can warm up with a delicious hot chocolate and walk around the merriest market around. They have over 100 different vendors to check out, from amazing foods to decorative goods, apparel, and art, to name a few.

I’m a big fan of pop up shops and kiosks that sell unique items, so this is a definite stop for me. If you're looking to cross a few people off your list, the village is the perfect place to shop for gifts. Other markets to stop at are Columbus Circle, Union Square, and Grand Central Holiday Fair. You never know what you’ll find!

5. Christmas window displays

Midtown is crazy this time of year, but it’s definitely worth the crowded sidewalks. While you’re walking down 5th avenue don’t forget to take in all the spectacular window displays. Back in the late 1800’s Macy’s started it all with their first holiday presentation. Shortly after, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Bergdorf Goodman followed suit.

Now in the year 2017 it’s no secret that these amazing stores try to outdo each other every year. And I’d bet nothing else will put you in the Christmas mood like seeing the lights and sparkle. This year Saks, in collaboration with Disney, is celebrating Snow White’s 80th anniversary. The 14 window display will show scenes from the classic picture we all know and love. Prepare to be dazzled!