The Ultimate Guide To Being A Contributing Editor

Step by step instructions to being a part of a thriving Odyssey community.

733

The Contributing Editor is responsible for editing articles for grammar mistakes, packaging the piece correctly when it comes to its headline and cover photo, and helping the EIC manage the team throughout the week.

Thursday // Friday

Edit content

Objective: Give feedback to creators on their submissions, leaving comments where appropriate.

Resources:

Odyssey editing 101
Odyssey's Library Of Digital Media Resources

Reach out to Creators who you have not heard from.

Objective: After content has come in Wednesday by 5 p.m., make sure all Creators on your team have communicated to you or the EIC about the status of their submission.

Resource:Tracking doc

Sunday

Ask creators for next week’s pitch.

Objective: Hold creators accountable to submitting topic ideas to get inspiration and motivation going throughout the team.

Resources: Tracking doc

Resources: Google Trends

Monday

Follow up with creators who haven’t submitted ideas.

Objective: Be proactive so you or your EIC isn’t in a panic when you don’t see any content to edit by deadline

Resources: Tracking doc

Check in with EIC

Objective: Each week, make sure you check in with EIC about the team’s progress this week. Strategize for the upcoming week and make sure you both are on the same page about team challenges and strengths.

Tuesday

Reach out in group message and remind Creators about the Wednesday at 5 p.m. deadline.

Objective: It helps your EIC to also remind Creators to submit. Yes, the EIC will be reaching out as well, but you reaching out means there will be peer-to-peer accountability amongst the Creators on your team.