8 Tips For Incoming UCF Freshman And Transfer Students

This is a guide to all you need to know if you're transferring to UCF or you're an incoming freshman.

189
https://unsplash.com/photos/02z1I7gv4ao

Transferring or coming to college for the first time is hard. It's a new city with new people, and you're no longer going to have the life you've been used to, but that's OK! Change is good and inevitable, but here are some tips to make the transition a little bit easier.

1. Tour the campus.

UCF Reflection pond.https://www.407area.com/education/your-ucf-student...

I never toured any of the colleges I applied to and I regret it immensely. I'm extremely lucky that I love Orlando and the UCF campus. But, just because I love the modern-ness and layout of the campus doesn't mean it's for everyone. If you're looking for a smaller campus or a more traditional look, FSU might be your top choice. If you're coming from out of state I would look at the average weather too, you might not like that we don't get any season other than summer except for a glorious two weeks a year. Do your research about the area you are about to move to.

2. Check out the programs before you commit.

UCF students in the Engineering Building.https://goo.gl/images/L5Jb1c

UCF has so many amazing programs, majors, and minors. But, some of them you have to apply to be accepted into, you need to do your research and make sure that you have the drive and resume that will get you accepted. If not, you might be out of luck. We also have a great study abroad program and so many internship opportunities, so if that is a high priority for you, welcome!

3. Get housing immediately.

Towers housing on UCF campus.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2It7a4LW9tY

DO NOT WAIT TO GET HOUSING. If you're a freshman, you will probably get housing no matter what, but if you don't apply early I can promise you, you probably will not live where you want to. I 100% recommend living on campus for the first year because parking sucks. You also have more of an opportunity to get a feel for the campus. There are some really great off-campus living accommodations too. This means more freedom, but it also means having to find on-campus parking or working in time to catch and ride the shuttle into your schedule. If you're someone who finds any excuse not to go to class, I would suggest living on campus because there really is no excuse when each building is a small walk away.

4. Get involved.

http://osi.ucf.edu/vucf/

Look into all of the clubs and programs UCF has to offer, there are so many options that it will be hard for you to not find somewhere you love. The clubs can also lead to internship and job opportunities that you might not be offered elsewhere. You can make lifelong friends and introduce yourself to people with the same interests, this will make easing into college, well, easier.

5. Skip the dining plan.

UCF dining hall.http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/story/news/201...

This might not be good advice for everyone, but from my experience, it is a huge waste of money. I thought I would utilize it all of the time, but honestly having to plan out your meals and walk to the dining hall is a pain. I thought it was way too overpriced. They also don't have a huge variety of options if you have special dietary needs such as veganism or specific allergies. It's a lot easier to get to Publix and get what you need for the week, in my opinion.

6. Don't just hang out with people from your old school.

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash

I know it can be super comforting to see familiar faces when you're adjusting to college, but if you're only hanging out with people you've known forever, you might miss out on meeting some really great friends. I'm not saying don't hang out with old friends, just don't limit yourself to making them you're only friend group.

7. Go to class and do your work.

Photo by Tra Nguyen on Unsplash

In high school, it was easy for some of us to slack off and barely do any work, but this is college. You are paying for classes and you are setting yourself up for your future. You need to go to class, study hard, and make the most out of the education you are privileged to get just by going to college. You need to figure out how to balance work and fun to make the most out of your college experience. It will be hard at first but it is a necessary skill for success.

8. Have fun.

Photo by Nicholas Green on Unsplash

These are said to be the best days of our lives. You're no longer in your small hometown with people you've known forever, you're not living with your parents anymore. This is your chance to explore yourself and find what you really love, take advantage.

I'm wishing everyone a great time here at UCF and I hope you love it as much as I do. Go Knights!