A Spoken Word On How I Feel When People Stereotype Black Girls

I have been stereotyped as a young black girl for as long as I can remember. I am a firm believer that maybe if people would take the time to educate themselves before jumping to conclusions, these stereotypes would possibly cease to exist.

405
NiaSymone Francisco

"You're not like those typical black girls" they'd say. Upon hearing that ignorant line that I've heard more times than I have fingers, I'd give a half-smile, thank them, and then think to myself, Well wait a minute, what's that supposed to mean? Without having to waste a breath, I already had an idea of the so-called typical black girls they were referring to, so I grit my teeth, purse my lips and move on.

They were referring to the loud ones who talked back to their teachers because I was reserved, they were referring to the ones whose hair was short and "nappy" because mine had a "nice" curl pattern, or maybe they were referring to the ones who couldn't seem to pass their classes and were definitely taking intensive courses because I was taking AP courses.

But how is being a typical black girl so undesired or a curse sent down from the heavens by the Gods?

Because the so-called typical black girls I have heard of were my intellectual ancestors, who were queens of Egypt, who wore shimmering gold crowns and ruby red diamonds galore.

The so-called typical black girls I have heard of overcame their childhood misfortunes and became multi-billionaires through hard work and perseverance.

The so-called typical black girls I have heard of wanted their freedom so bad, that they risked beatings and hangings and rape and abuse, to pursue a life that offered stability and equality, paving a riveting red carpet for me to have the ability to have my own hopes and dreams.

Those were the typical black girls that I was raised to know.

Those were the typical black girls that I am striving to be.

To me, it is overwhelmingly unfortunate that they weren't raised to know the typical black girls I know, because if they did, I'm sure they wouldn't mind being one themselves.