24 TV Couples We Shipped Before Shipping Became A Thing

Isn't it weird to think about all of the subconscious shipping we did before hoping fictional characters get together became mainstream? Well don't worry, we can all bask in our Otp nostalgia together.

1156
Deviantart

Warning: This list does reveal trials and tribulations that the couple has grown through, so, therefore, beware of major spoilers for the television shows mentioned!

1. "Saved by the Bell"—Zack Morris & Kelly Kapowski

At first, we viewed Zack Morris as a preppy slacker with player tendencies chasing the most popular ( & prettiest) girl in school, Kelly Kapowski. However, the love triangle and chase turned into a full-blown romance. Despite multiple breakups and other relationships, we always hoped that these two would find their way back to each other. When they finally tied the knot in the TV movie, I think everyone at home can agree that we all let out a collective sigh of relief.

2. "Zoey 101"—Chase Matthews & Zoey Brooks

The moment Chase met Zoey was the moment he fell in love. After busting out laughing at the moment in question, we were sucked in by their friendship and his crush. Despite confessing his love, Chase went to a different boarding school and Zoey moved on but we still held up hope that two might reconcile. In the last episode "Chasing Zoey", the two shared a kiss and word finally could be heard around the world. (Don't even get me started on the feelings people had over the "What did Zoey Say?" reunion video related by Dan Schneider).

3. "Kim Possible" — Ron Stoppable & Kim Possible

Kim Possible not only broke gender boundaries, but it brought us a friendship so strong that we couldn’t help but hope for something more. Kim, badass crime fighter and goofy lovable sidekick Ron have been best friends since pre-k, and we’ve always held a soft spot for them. However, during their Junior Prom, they spiraled into more so naturally that we were all left in awe (and wondering why it didn’t happen sooner).

4. "Sabrina, The Teenage Witch"— Harvey Kinkle & Sabrina Spellman

At 12:36, high school sweethearts and soul mates Sabrina and Harvey met and sparks flew. Even though at times we doubted they would end up together, we never forgot the magic that only they could create. Through Spellman family secrets, witch hunting, and juggling witch realm with mortal realm, the only thing that stayed true was the love between Harvey and Sabrina. (I mean he knows her secret and still loves her, that’s got to tug on the heartstrings?)

5. "Teen Titans" —Robin & Starfire

Despite being on the same crime fighting team and great friends, Robin and Starfire danced around their feelings for a while. Despite arranged marriages, jealousy, and heroic betrayals, we hoped that they would confess their feelings to each other. Fans were glad the series didn’t end without the TV “Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo” answering the age-old question of will they or won't they?

6. "Full House"—Jesse Katsopolis & Rebecca “Becky” Donaldson (DJ/Steve)

While most remember Full House for baby Michelle’s one-liners or the funny misadventures of Uncle Joey and Uncle Jesse, there were still couples that we hoped were endgame. While DJ and Steve were the cutest high school sweethearts and Danny and Vicky were the couple that should have been, Jesse and Becky were the ones we wished would make it until the end.Whether it was their bickering beginning or the birth of their boys Nicky and Alex, we knew they would have Forever.

7. "Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide"—Ned Bigby & Jennifer “Moze” Mosely

Despite Ned trying to chase after his crush on Suzie Crabgrass, we fans always hoped that Ned would find what he was looking for closer to home. Whether it’s going along with his schemes or helping get Missy off his back, one of Ned’s best friends Moze was always the girl we thought would be perfect for him. In “Field Trips, Permission Slips, Signs and Weasels”, we hoped that he would choose her. (Spoiler Alert: He did!)

8. "Lizzie McGuire"—David “Gordo” Gordon & Lizzie McGuire

Lizzie may have spent the show crushing on the dumb jock Ethan Craft, but she and Gordo have been best friends since they were in diapers. Despite seeming like Gordo had a one-sided crush, we all hoped that Lizzie would finally realize what’s staring her right in the face. We all saw how Gordo would do anything for her and practically screamed at the TV every time she should have seen it. In “The Lizzie McGuire Movie”,we saw once again Gordo being an amazing person and Lizzie being blind. But by the end of the film, we all saw what dreams are made of when the pair locked lips.

9. "Boy Meets World"— Cory Matthews & Topanga Lawrence

What started out as a simple first kiss turned into a romance that none of us expected. Despite break ups and bumps, 'I love you' confessions, long distance, college marriage and much more, Cory and Topanga were a couple we hoped they would make it to the end. We were all so happy to see them go the distance and in the spinoff, Girl meets world, be married with two children (Riley and Auggie). Cory and Topanga set the standard for couples and really made us care for fictional characters.

10. "Scooby-Doo, Where are You?"—Fred Jones & Daphne Blake

As recognizable as the comedic duo Shaggy and Scooby are, the relationship between Fred and Daphne are as equally iconic. Whether their cartoon or live action, they always share some chemistry that keeps us wanting them to admit there feelings for each other. (Fun fact: the actors who played the classic couple in the live action movie, Freddie Prinze Jr and Sarah Michelle Gellar, have been happily married for 15 years)

11. "One Tree Hill"—Nathan Scott & Haley James (Lucas Scott/Peyton Sawyer)

While most started watching One Tree Hill for the cute Lucas and Peyton, viewers stayed for the heartfelt and beautiful relationship between Nathan and Haley. Naley has had it’s fair share of ups and downs (with point shaving, drugs, teen pregnancy etc.) but this was a marriage that while no one saw coming (I mean getting married in high school what?), we all hoped it would last, always and forever.

12. "Danny Phantom"—Danny Fenton & Sam Manson

Danny and Sam were both obliviously crushing on each other and we wanted them to see it since day one. Whether it’s Sam helping Danny fight ghosts or dreaming of each other when a Ghost puts the whole town to sleep, the duo are made for each other and the only one’s who don’t see it are them. All of the cute moments and blushing lead to the final episode, “Phantom Planet”, where they kiss and become official to most of our heart’s content.

13. "Degrassi"—J.T. Yorke & Liberty Van Zandt

While Degrassi has had its fair share of drama and romance, the real couple that held our heart in their hands was the relationship between comic relief J.T. Yorke and uptight Liberty Van Zandt. What started out as a crush turned obsession quickly flipped to puppy love and then heartache. Their love story is one that wont be forgotten, as their struggle with teen pregnancy, drugs, car crashes and parties turned deadly were the bitterest pill we all swallowed.

14. "Dawson’s Creek"— Pacey Witter & Josephine “Joey” Potter

While most of us feel for Dawson, we can’t help but want Pacey and Joey to be endgame. These two bickering buds found love and show us how a healthy relationship should work. Despite fighting and love triangles, their love was undeniable and even Dawson/Joey fans can agree that soul mates might be out there but the only love that’s certain is the one you choose. In the end, we were glad that Pacey and Joey chose each other.

15. "All Grown Up!"—Tommy Pickles & Kimi Finster

We all know it would be weird to hope that babies end up together, so we probably thought nothing of Tommy and Kimi's compatibility because they (and we) were too young to pick up on it. But that all changed in the Rugrats spinoff "All Grown up". In the episode "TP+KF", we saw that the two might feel something for each other. Despite not ending up together, we secretly held on to the notion that there's a chance they could have been together in the future.

16. "Hannah Montana"—Lily Truscott & Oliver Oken

While most remember Miley’s romance with Johnny, Josh, Jake or Jesse (Miley has a serious J name problem by the way), the couple that really caught our eye was that of Miley’s two best friends Lily and Oliver. Even though it took Miley by surprise, we all knew it was a long time coming. With annoyingly cute pet names and engaging chemistry, Lolliver had great moments together (even before they became a couple).

17. "Hey Arnold!" —Arnold Shortman & Helga G. Pataki

While we loved Arnold and his heart, we always felt bad for Helga. With her neglectful parents and over achieving and attention receiving sister, we all felt for her one sided crush and bulling tendencies. In “Helga on the Couch”, we saw cute glimpses of how they met and rooted for them despite Arnold’s crush on Lila. Even though the finale episode, Helga still denies her feelings by dismissing the kiss she gave Arnold, we all know (including writer Craig Bartlett) that the characters will end up together (And hey, with the new Hey Arnold! Jungle movie set out to release in 2017, there’s still a chance that it could happen).

18. "Codename: Kid’s Next Door"—Wally “Numbah 4” Beatles & Kuki “Numbah 3” Sanban

Despite being kids throughout the show’s lifespan, Wally and Kuki have showed interest in each other. They seem to be too shy to say it, but we all squeal like little kids every time they do something cute. Whether it’s using each other’s real name or almost confessing their love, we can’t help but want them to get it together. That's why it was super amazing when we found out that in the future, they ended up married.

19. "F.R.I.E.N.D.S"—Chandler Bing & Monica Geller

Though most view Ross and Rachel as the couple to end all couples, the real hit with friends was Chandler and Monica. As friends who tell each other secrets and make deals to have kids in the future, these two were endgame before they were even in the game. Their journey through secret relationships, marriage, and adoption was not only hilarious but entertaining to see them grow. We can pretty much agree that we’re glad they didn’t end up with heart-breaker Richard or loud mouth Janice.

20. "Wizards of Waverly Place"—Mason Greyback & Alex Russo

While sarcastic slacker Alex and sweet ambitious painter Mason may seem like polar opposites, they have more in common than what meets the eye. Both of them harbor a secret, Alex is a wizard and Mason is a werewolf. This couple is adorable and has prevailed through many tribulations trying to break them. Through trapped transformations, forced breakup, and mortal dilemmas, the two have come out on top. Additionally, even though Justin and Juliet’s love is heart-breaking-ly beautiful, Malex is one couple we watch for.

21. "The Wonder Years"—Kevin Arnold & Gwendolyn “Winnie” Cooper

Despite not ending up together, Winnie and Kevin were the pinnacle example of first love. We all hoped that after first kisses and being school sweethearts, they would eventually marry but they don’t. They do make the list because we wanted them to end up together, and they stayed together in everything that matters—staying close friends and permanent fixtures in each other’s life. They even stayed pen pals for eight years and Kevin introduced her to his wife and kid, showing us that platonic love is still love (and isn't that what really matters?)

22. "Phineas and Ferb"—Phineas Flynn & Isabella Garcia-Shapiro

Despite most of the series showing Isabella’s one-sided crush on the oblivious Phineas Flynn, the two had many cute moments together and we practically begged the TV screen for Isabella to tell him how she feels. Despite how adorable Jeremy and Candace’s relationship was and how shocking Vanessa and Ferb were together, Phinabella took our hearts. However, in the second to last episode set ten years later entitled “Act your Age”, we were almost left wondering what might have been but the two finally got together.

23. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"—Angel & Buffy Summers

The Romeo and Juliet of our age, Buffy, a vampire Slayer, and Angel, a vampire, never stood a chance at a happy ending. Their love was strong and beautiful but it was also broken and heartbreaking to witness. (I mean I compared them to Romeo and Juliet so you saw the heartache coming, am I right?) Additionally, despite “seeing a future” with Angel, the two part and so does every fan’s heart. While the two don’t end up in each other’s arms, I don’t think viewers will ever give up hope that they might’ve.

24. "The Fairly OddParents"—Cosmo & Wanda

Cosmo may seem more like the token idiot comic relief while Wanda is the stern voice of reason, but the characters mean way more than that. Whether it’s Cosmo standing up to his Mom for Wanda or fighting off Juandissimo, Cosmo and Wanda’s love is true. Proof of their love is found in their 10,000-year marriage, baby boy Poof, and their love song Floating with You (They even broke equality boundaries when Cosmo gave birth to Poof).

5 Honorable Mentions:

• Jimmy Neutron and Cindy Vortex from “The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron”
  • Nat Wolff and Rosalina from “The Naked Brother’s Band”
  • Veronica Mars and Logan Echolls from “Veronica Mars”
  • T.J. Detweiler and Ashley Spinelli from “Recess”
  • Joey Jeremiah and Caitlin Ryan from “Degrassi: Old School”