Trying To Solve Writer's Block

Trying To Solve Writer's Block

Come ramble with me.

2
Trying To Solve Writer's Block

So this is probably the most meta thing I have written so far. I have writer's block. Honest to goodness, can not think of what to say, writer's block. So I am taking all of you readers on this rambling, stream-of-consciousness journey with me as I attempt to clear it. Let's see what happens, shall we?

So, let us start with the root of my writer's block, the cause if you will. For one, my grandma passed away a couple weeks ago. Not many of my friends know because I just had not been up to tell them. So, we had her funeral in Michigan and I was gone for three days last week. Between the funeral itself, seeing family, and helping with everything right after she died, I am just tired.

The day after we got back from the funeral, my parents and I packed up the car and left for Boston at 4:40 in the MORNING to move some furniture up to my apartment so we do not have to deal with it in August. It was another eight hours there, six hours dealing with stuff, three hours to New York, five hours the next day and then running errands. By the way, my dad drove 11 hours in one day, and he did most of the really heavy lifting, so he deserves some kind of medal.

Then I baked for a celebration of my grandma's life at our house last night. This posed a couple problems. First, people should stop having me bake lemon bars from scratch. I am pretty good at baking, but lemon bars and I do not get along. You could say...I have soured on them (I'm sorry, I had to). Secondly, we had 70 people in a house that fit 40 comfortably. And then I helped my parents clean up. None of which I mind, and I liked seeing everyone, but I also had heels on for 12 hours.

So ... yeah. The past few weeks were stressful and busy, and they threw me (and my family) off of our typical routines. I guess they are some of the reasons for my writer's block.

There are several lessons that I have learned from this experience.

1. Just start writing and keep writing.

2. Take breaks (there were a lot of Buzzfeed quizzes taken and scrolling through Facebook during this process).

2. Ramble. Just Ramble. Think and let your mind wander. Overshare a bit with the internet. Ramble and think and just let your mind go free (only slightly).

3. In my case, be grateful it is summer and that I do not have classes to deal with.

4. Examine what is causing your writer's block.

5. Make yourself comfortable. Watch Netflix (my pick: "Parks and Recreation". Which I have rewatched a countless number of times. I have a problem. But I digress).

Thanks for going on this weird journey with me, internet.