9 Truths About Being A Social Butterfly

9 Truths About Being A Social Butterfly

The pros, cons, and everything in between.

10679
9 Truths About Being A Social Butterfly
123rf.com

There's the stereotype that only children have of "not being able to socialize with others" and "not having very many friends" because they're always by themselves. That may be true for some people; however, that's the complete opposite for me! One of the reasons that my parents placed me into preschool was for me to not only learn, but to also communicate more with children my age. Thanks to that decision, I've been making friends ever since! My mother would be so amused as we walked through the grocery store, the mall, the library, and other places in my home town and I saw a friend from school, sports, or rehearsal and would say hi to them. I'm so grateful and fortunate for all the friends I have made in the past and all the friends that I have now. I'm also very grateful for God blessing me with an outgoing personality, which has obviously helped me in making friends and is now playing a key part in how I get involved around campus, as well as my future.

I know that I can't be the only social butterfly that exists; I realize there's a lot of people like me that are extroverted and love meeting new people and making new friends. While there are perks to being a social butterfly, there are also cons--which I will mention throughout this article. If you're a social butterfly, perhaps you can relate to the following things:

1. When people ask you "how do you make friends?" and it's hard for you to answer because...well, you just do.

Practically what I say every single time, in addition to a few more pieces of advice.

2. You have multiple connections, so when anyone needs something, "you know a guy" (or gal, respectively).

An extremely important thing to have, especially as a college student. You may meet someone that has the opportunity you need, and it may change your life.

3. Wanting to hang out with people, but also needing your personal space.

This is extremely necessary. As much as we love to be around people, "me time" is also a good time.

4. Making friends with the wrong people.

Long story short, it sucks. Big time.

5. When you're with one friend group and you see another friend group you're apart of, and you want to say hi to them and hang out with them for a while, but you don't want to make the other friend group feel bad.

The amount of times that I've had this happen to me is more than I can count on both hands. I have hung out with the other friend group for a while (or maybe for the entire time the event took place...oops) and the friends I left were mad about me leaving. This was mainly in elementary school, when people took things way too seriously.

6. In addition, you might do this the night you invite two different friend groups over for an event...throughout the entire time.

Quite literally, this is the tiny dance pretty much every social butterfly has when this happens. You just want to make sure everyone is getting along and enjoying themselves.

7. Whenever you begin to talk to someone new and you discover you have something in common:

It's awesome to meet someone that has the same likes and dislikes as you. The conversation topics are endless!

8. When you meet someone new but they're kind of not into the conversation as you are.

**insert grimacing emoji here**

9. When you see your once quiet friends beginning to make new friends and step out of their shell.

Considering it's a big step for them to be making new friends, you become super proud of them.

One final note: If you're struggling with making friends, I just want to let you know this one thing: you are not alone. Lots of people struggle with making friends for a multitude of reasons. You don't have to be a social butterfly if you genuinely don't feel comfortable with it, I completely respect your decision. Breaking out of your shell is totally your decision and yours alone. If you feel that you're ready for making friends, just a few simple tips. Be yourself. Relax. Smile. You can do anything you set your mind to. You're awesome. They might have trouble making friends too. A simple "hi how are you?" might change their day. I believe in you.