Pros And Cons To Being A Social Butterfly

However, the pros totally outweigh the cons.

7134
Google

Some believe being a social butterfly is an excellent quality to have while others may assume they're try hards, social climbers and ultimately prefer to have tons of pointless friends rather than a reliable group of close friends. As a social butterfly, I'm here to set the record straight. A social butterfly is not always an indication of someone who can't keep their friends close, it's a person who has exceptional social skills and genuinely enjoys getting to know new people. However, being a social butterfly surely has its faults. Here's a couple pros and cons to being a social butterfly:

Pro: We're not afraid to go out of our way to approach new people

A lot of people don't care to or are nervous in regard to sparking a conversation with someone they don't know. Some make the excuse that if others approach them then they don't mind talking with that person, but I don't believe that's the best mentality to have. Why should people always have to approach you? Think of it this way: if you're at a networking party, do you expect the people you're trying to impress to seek you out? Clearly not. So if you want to approach someone don't be afraid to. On the other hand, if you just don't care to, then you could miss out on meeting great people.

Pro: We have the capability of keeping a conversation going

For many, it's difficult to find things to talk about upon first meeting someone or just someone they don't know very well. In my opinion, a person you've just met should be the easiest to spark up a conversation with because there's an endless amount of questions you can ask. I always tell people if they're not sure what to discuss, just ask the person general questions: Are you currently working or in school? How do you know [insert name here]? Have you always resided in Los Angeles? Basic questions like this are great ice breakers and surely won't offend the person you're trying to get to know.

Con: A lot of us don't enjoy solitude

I can't speak for all social butterflies, but I certainly hate being alone. Of course there's moments where I enjoy relaxing by myself, but 90% of the time I'd rather be around people. Especially since I grew up an only child. I always want to get out of my house rather than stay in which is a problem on days when everyone is busy and I'm forced to hang out at home. It's one thing if it's my choice to not go out, but it's another when you're trying so hard to make plans and it doesn't work out.

Con: Our good friends might believe we're so all over the place that we don't prioritize our time with them

Whether you realize it or not, there is a hierarchy when it comes to friendships. We've got best friend(s), good friends and acquaintances. Some people take the hierarchy more seriously than others. What people should understand is that if I, for example, have plans with a new friend, then I'm going to follow through with my initial plan because I don't believe it's right to ditch someone (even for my best friend). Unless, however, a friend I'm close with needs me for any reason or if they're celebrating an occasion then of course I'll take a rain check with my acquaintance. Know that there's nothing wrong with consistently going out of your way to get to know new people. What's not right is friends who may put you down if you enjoy spending time outside your social circle.