The Truth Behind Working Retail During The Holidays

We bust ours so you can enjoy sitting on yours.

18
Fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com

It is a typical Saturday afternoon in late November. I stand patiently at my register, waiting for another customer. Being the introvert I am, I am often very observant and stand back to view my surroundings whenever business winds down like this. With the holidays being right around the corner, I have a more exciting view of the grocery store more than ever. Shelves are continuously stocked; Christmas floral and decorations fill the store’s entirety; many to most of my co-workers are scheduled along with me; then there are customers who are a different story – while some of them are the most genuine and kind people I have ever met, others are often rigid or compulsive around this time of year. And truth be told, these are the ones I dread the absolute most. Before making any assumptions, allow me to explain.

Coming into the retail industry, I knew there would be difficult people to deal with. During the holidays however, they can come off as even more difficult. “WHY ARE THE TURKEYS OUT OF STOCK?” “$5 is too much for gravy; I can find it cheaper at (insert other retail store name)!” “Uh miss, you’re getting in my way.” “What’s taking so long!?” “The sign said that was $8, not $8.50!” My eyes roll nearly into the back of my head as I hear any of these sentences far too often during this time. You see, in retail, customers are fed off of a variety of beliefs; “The customer is always right”, “Whatever makes you happy”, and so on… They feel as if it is an employee’s job to cater to their needs, so they will come back for more. This is especially true during the holidays, a time when customers are stressed and have a long list of wants and needs. They want to have particular items to make their holidays the best possible, but what they do not see is what lurks in the shadows.

What the customer does not realize is that we as employees do whatever is necessary to make their holiday the best it can be. In other words, we bust ours so you can enjoy sitting on yours. I have worked in a grocery store over the course of eleven holidays so far that center around food, and during those times, business picks up tremendously and the atmosphere gets intense. This makes it difficult for customers to always find what they need in stock and get in and out of the store as fast as a normal day, though believe me, we try our best to make it happen. I often see my co-workers in the grocery section placing new orders and stocking the shelves nonstop, bakers popping baked goods in and out of the ovens, meats and prepared foods being packaged and labeled, phones getting nearly rung off the hook, and cashiers and baggers alike ringing out the customers’ items as quickly and neatly as possible. So what that we get paid for it? Our jobs are mentally and physically draining nonetheless.

As Thanksgiving comes to end and Christmas approaches, keep everything I have said in mind. Know we are here for you, day or night, but also know to appreciate us. Have an open mind. Be patient. Be kind. Be thankful. We truly do our best to grant your wishes and continue to receive your business. Never think any less of thanking those working in various departments; we work equally as hard as each other. And we never grow tired of hearing those two special words: thank you, especially during the hours we pour into making your holiday special. At the end of the day, we are exhausted and wish to be able to spend the holidays with our loved one just as much, or more, than you.

Sincerely,

A cashier on behalf of the retail industry