Trump Considering Mitt Romney and David Petraeus for Secretary of State
Politics

They would defintiely be controversial picks for the controversial candidates

2
abcnews.com

Both of these men would be controversial picks for the controversial President-elect.

With Romney, Trump would be appointing one of his fiercest critics during his campaign to one of the most, if not the most important cabinet position. Some of Trump's strongest supporters are vocally campaigning against Romney, including Rudy Giuliani and campaign manager Kellyanne Conway. Many Trump supporters want to see Giuliani as Secretary of State since he has been a very loyal Trump supporter throughout the election. On Monday on CNN's "New Day", another Trump supporter, Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.), said that Romney is a "self-serving egomaniac who puts himself first, who has a chip on his shoulder, and thinks that he should be president of the United States".

There are some Trump supporters, including Vice President-Elect Mike Pence, are also Romney supporters. Those duo-supporters say that he could bring a steady hand to a controversial administration. Trump will be meeting with Romney again because senior Trump communications adviser Jason Miller says that Trump and Romney "quite frankly, haven't spent much time together, so this gives them a little more time to do so."

After the controversy over Romney over Romney hit the national news, it was announced that Trump would meet with Retired General David Petraeus to discuss the Secretary of State position. While I'm sure no one seriously doubts Petraeus's qualifications, he's a pretty controversial figure. In 2012, it was reported that Petraeus had an affair with Paula Broadwell who was writing his official biography. After the investigation, Petraeus ended up pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge of mishandling classified materials over email. Sound familiar? Sound like Hillary Clinton's email scandal. I won't get into it, but you can better believe that Trump would receive lots of criticism for appointing someone to Secretary of State who got in trouble for mishandling national security information over email.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this plays out.