True Life: I'm From Boston

True Life: I'm From Boston

And no... I don't have an accent.

47
True Life: I'm From Boston
Trip Advisor

As a girl who was born and bred in Massachusetts, I could not be less of a New Englander. That being said, I have lived in Boston (which is actually keyword for a small suburb approximately 40 minutes outside the city) for over two decades, so I am here to clarify any misconceptions you may have about "Bostonian" characteristic traits. You can be the judge if I adhere to the stereotypes.

Here's why I don't fit the mold:

First of all, I do not nor will I ever have a Boston accent. I actually detest Boston accents. Sorry to my friends who have them, but it's pronounced "wah-tur" not "wa-ta." I have literally never heard anyone in their life use this infamous sentence unless they are asked to give their best interpretation of their own Boston accent.

Second of all, I don't do the cold. While I love to go skiing with my family (spring skiing is the best), there is nothing I dislike more than snow, which means cold weather, which means I won't be leaving my bedroom. I don't like snow, no matter the form it comes in. That means fluffy snow, sticky snow, icy snow, slush, freezing rain...I can't do any of it. Whenever it's winter...or really any time of the year, you can bet my car is warm and toasty. My family loves to tell me I keep my car like a sauna... sorry, but I'm not going to freeze to death while I drive from place to place. It's always better to be too warm than too cold.

Third of all, I am not a die-hard Dunkin' Donuts fanatic. I feel like if you are from the Northeast, there is a certain expectation that you will crave the normalcy and homey feel that embodies Dunkin', but I actually don't like donuts (I know... I'm weird), and I don't like their signature "Coolatta" drink, so I stick to Starbucks.

But then again...here's why I do fit the mold:

First of all, if you cut me off, I will be livid. Let's just say Massachusetts drivers have a reputation for being "Massholes," and I definitely get a little irritated when I'm driving behind a terrible driver or someone almost kills me by swerving through lanes.

Second of all, I will rep Boston sports until I die. I didn't start the hashtag, #TitleTown, but I will happily use it in my social media posts. You can't deny our superiority in sports because between the years of 2001-2015, the four major premiere sports teams, The Patriots, The Bruins, The Red Sox, and The Celtics have won a combined 9 championship titles. Yah, that might be some "Masshole" gloating, but the stats stand for themselves. PS: I have dear friends who live in New York, but I have a message for you all: Your sports teams are my sports teams mortal enemies, so we might run into some problems down the line...let's not let it affect our friendships.

Third of all, I am incredibly privileged to live in a state that has proven time and time again that the people of this great city encapsulate resilience, compassion, and determination. After the Boston Marathon Bombing in 2013, I saw a type of camaraderie amongst the citizens of Massachusetts that was so unique and beautiful that made me feel proud to be from such a place as Boston. Whether the people come together out of despair, happiness, excitement, or confusion, we are the 617, and we are #BostonStrong.

While I like to call myself a girl destined for the Cali lifestyle, I can't ignore my ingrained Bostonian qualities. It's good to embrace your roots, no matter how stereotypically accurate they may be.