True Friendship Is Difficult To Find, But It'll All Be Worth It When You Have Someone For A 2 A.M. Vent Session

A strong friendship should never be one-sided; that's very draining for the person who is always making an effort.

39

Friend. Such a simple word with such complex meanings.

When someone says "friend" there are many different meanings to it. It could mean a friend who is more than a friend and you just haven't accepted it yet. It could mean a friend who is an acquaintance and really doesn't mean much to the person, it is just easier to say friend then explain the back story. It could also mean a friend who is a real and honest person that is always there for you. There are many different interpretations of the word "friend."

I recently attended a beautiful wedding where friends were a big component. The bride and the groom's friends have been a part of their lives for many years and they act like a big family. It was so astonishing and amazing to see how they all interacted and how their parents were all friends as well.

Attending this wedding really got me thinking about the people I surround myself with and who I'm able to call a friend.

A wise person once told me that you can count on one hand the number of real friends you have. This person explained that you only count the friends that would help you at two o'clock in the morning if you were stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere and needed help. Once I got older I realized the importance of this message.

Today, I'm able to count the number of friends I have on one hand. This doesn't mean the people who wouldn't drive to save you at two o'clock in the morning aren't your friends. They could very well still be your friend. But ask yourself if the friendship is contributing to your growth.

It can be very hard to let some people leave your life, however, if the friendship is not equal and if it is not contributing to your growth as an individual, it is not worth it in the long run.

To me, friends should be the people in your life that lift you up and make life more fun and enjoyable. A strong friendship should never be one-sided; that's very draining for the person who is always making an effort. A strong friendship should also include, communication, commitment, and support.

A strong friendship is hard to come by. But when you find your best friend, it's all worth it.