The True Definition Of A Mom
popular

The True Definition Of A Mom

The thank you that every mom not only needs to hear, but deserves.

35802
The True Definition Of A Mom

Mom: one's mother -- Google.

Mom: The woman who loves you unconditionally from birth, the one who puts her kids before herself and the one who you can always count on above everyone else -- Urban Dictionary.

Mom: A person who has responsibility for the care of children -- YourDictionary.

What is the one thing that all of these definitions of Moms have in common? Read them closely and focus on the key words - loves you unconditionally, has responsibility for the care of children, one's mother. See it yet? Or better yet, focus on the words you haven't seen: Biological, adoptive, step, foster, etc.

With today's generation there are so many different types of moms, but the 'type' does not define the mother, nor should we allow it to. These women in our lives strive hard everyday to ensure a beautiful life for us, the least we can do is give them the credit they deserve. I am not able to express enough how many times I've heard the phrase "but she's not my real mom", when I've heard someone talking about a step parent, foster parent, family member that has stepped in, etc. I can't help but to wonder what their definition of a 'real' mom is, biological maybe? Because each definition I have listed above says otherwise.

To the biological mothers, thank you for not giving up on your children from the get-go. For being there from the initial cry, to the cry over a scraped knee, from the first word to the first day of the school, and from the first time you held your child to now, as you swear to never let them go. You are a true inspiration, and your light shines through your children. You deserve a thank you every day, for you chose to never give up, you chose to love.

To the adoptive mothers, thank you for giving your child a second chance. For taking a child out of a bad situation and giving them a new lease on life. For loving a child unconditionally for no other reason than for wanting a child to raise, to love, and to give a life that someone else could not. You deserve a thank you every day because you chose to give a child a second chance at a beautiful life, you chose to love.

To the step mothers, thank you for stepping up to plate and being either the figure your spouse's child needs, or being an alternate figure when the child needs someone else to go to. Thank you for treating someone else's child with as much love as you would your own. You deserve a thank you every day because you chose to step up to the plate despite the situation, you chose to love.

To the foster moms, thank you for giving the children you provide housing to a chance to feel like they belong. Thank you for giving up your time, your space, and your love for a child that has probably never felt that. You deserve a thank you every day because you chose to provide something someone else could not: a feeling of belonging, you chose to love.

To the family members that have taken on the role of mom, thank you for saving the day. Maybe your previous title was grandmother, aunt, sister, or even dad. You have not given up your role as these things, but taken on another role as mom. You play both for your child so that they never feel that void. You do all that you can to ensure your child is loved beyond the imaginable, and that they know they aren't any different from any other child because your love is no different from that of other moms, it's immense and it is true. You deserve a thank you everyday because you chose to be a hero for your child, you chose to take on a double role, you chose to love.

Each of these types of mothers is beautiful, inside and out, as her light shines through them and their children. We truly do not give these women the credit they deserve because as each of them may play different roles in different situations and different circumstances, they each play one role that they can all relate to, and that is always choosing to love.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love, but the greatest of these is LOVE." - Corinthians 13:13.

This article was inspired by my beautiful mother, as she has taught me everything I need to know about love. Thank you mom, for being the best grandmother, best friend, and the best MOM I could have ever asked for. You have played each role beautifully and you have taught me the true definition of a mother and her love. I love you.