True Confessions Of The Tallest Girl In The Room

What it feels like to be the tallest girl in most rooms, or the tallest person...

166
Arianna Cohen

Ever since kindergarten, I knew I was different. People would always stare at me. Sometimes they would try to be subtle, but most of the time they would just bulge their eyes in my direction. I had no facial deformity, I wasn't stunning for a child. I was just very, very tall. Even the children's sized bathrooms were too small for me; ducking to be able to see myself in the mirror was something I've been trained to do since the beginning. When picture day came, there I was, back row, center stage, looking miserable. Every. Single. Class. Picture.

As if the idea of always standing out wasn't enough, there was the issue of trying to get dressed every day. There is nothing I find more difficult than trying to find 36' inseam jeans. Seriously, people you don't know the struggle. Also, buying jeans online gives me the worst anxiety. The struggle of not knowing if they will be long enough, and the process of returning them? Too much for me.

Shirts are another story. I have a long torso so buying shirts is also a toss-up. Many shirts are crop tops, if not bras, on me, and I cannot purchase them. Even most jackets have too short of sleeves for me. Fitting rooms are essential to my life. Dresses usually expose parts of me that really shouldn't be exposed, so those cute short dresses all my friends get to wear in the summer have to be worn with leggings or jeans and look more like a long shirt on me. Being tall also means you probably have some pretty big feet. I have a size 13 shoe and it is nearly impossible to find shoes that fit me and I actually like. Payless is my go-to for this problem. Their size 13 shoes are my savior. But if I don't get shoes there, it's off to the men's section for me.

Now that we've covered clothes, let's move on to short doorways and low ceilings. Most likely, there is something that I will hit my head on. Whether it is a door frame, a hanging light, or just trying to walk with an uncomfortably low ceiling, nine times out of ten I'll hit my head somewhere. One of my best friends at school lofts her bed. This allows her to put her desk and other things under her bed that she can still access. She is also 5'8. When I try to go sit at her desk, I whack my head on her bed. My bed stays on the ground. I'll sacrifice some extra space.

Speaking of space, let me rant for a few minutes about leg room. Giving me adequate leg room is the key to my heart. Planes are pretty awful as it is, but imagine a 10-hour flight, similar to one my sister took this fall from New York to Israel, with your legs crunched up. That, my friends, is something I hate more than most things. What's worse? People in the seats in front of you reclining. As if I didn't have enough leg room as it is?! This also applies to movie theaters, bus rides, and sitting in the backseat of cars. Be conscious of who's sitting behind you people.

After all this is said and done, let;s talk about my final tall person argument that I know all tall women can agree with. To my shorter friends, please, for the love of god, try and leave the tall men for the people that need them. I beg of you. Unfortunately, even my mom is guilty of taking the tall men for herself as well. My mom is 5-foot-7 and not an inch taller. My dad was 6-foot-6. Enough said.

There are some advantages to being super tall. Someday, I might paint ceilings for a living. Or maybe I'll help the elderly do their grocery shopping and grab that can of prunes on the top shelf for them! At concerts, no matter where I stand, front or back, I still have the best view of the stage. And, if you lose your friend in a big crowd, hit me up! I'll find them in no time!

I wont lie, being tall sucks. But I've had to live with this my entire life so I might as well make the best of it? But, don't you dare tell me that you wish you'd be tall, because you don't know the struggles.