Going To Israel Changed My Life

Going To Israel Changed My Life

And it'll change yours too.

25
Going To Israel Changed My Life
Kiera Phillips

This spring break, I had the pleasure of going to Israel with a group from my school. Obviously, I was expecting it to be an amazing experience, but I did not quite know just how much of an impact it was going to have on my life. Seeing the different places where Jesus stood, was crucified, and was buried impacted me greatly. Knowing that where I stood was the same spot where Elijah brought down the prophets of Baal was amazing. Standing in the field where the "multitude of heavenly hosts" appeared (and singing Christmas carols there) was breathtaking.

Every time I hear a song that talks about a place that I went to last week, I can't help but tear up and picture being back at that place. This trip is something that will live on in my mind forever, no matter what. But nothing else impacted me quite as much as the people I met and saw while there. The group of people I went with was amazing. I could not have asked for a better group. I made so many friends, and everyone got along so well. It really was a wonderful week, free of drama, which was totally a God thing. There's something about weeping in the Garden of Gethsemane with people that brings you together. The people I met in Israel were wonderful too. It seemed like everywhere I went, I made a new friend (which was unusual for me, an extreme introvert). I was surrounded by people who wanted to talk to me and get to know me. Our tour guide and bus driver were so kind. Our bus driver was able to clearly communicate with us, even though he did not know one word of English. It was wonderful to be able to minister to them, even though they did not end up becoming Christians.

It was surprising (and heartbreaking) to me to learn that so many people in Israel do not have access to the Bible. Most of them do not even know the Old Testament and its prophecies very well, let alone the New Testament and the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is no wonder that the number of Christians living in Israel is so few. The Jewish people are constantly crying out to God at the Western Wall, longing for His presence, not knowing that they can take His presence with them wherever they go. This prompted me to consider how intentionally I am living my life for Christ. Is my life a constant testament to His faith and love? Sometimes, I am not so sure.

I would love to go back someday, even though I know it won't be the same as it was this last week. This spring break is something I will never experience again, and honestly, I am kind of okay with that. Although I am sad it is over, I am happy and grateful I got to experience it at all. I met people I probably would have never talked to otherwise, and now when I see them, I get to say hello! I learned that the wall I have built up around myself needs to be taken down bit by bit, and I have already made progress. I learned that it is okay to be fully vulnerable with people and that most of the time, people are trying to help me, not hurt me. I learned that even though it is hard for me to trust people, it doesn't mean I can't trust them at all. I learned that it is okay to show emotion. So, yeah. Spring break was good. There is so much more I could talk about, but honestly, I have not fully processed it all yet. Go to Israel if you get a chance - you'll understand.