The Cheat Code To Tricking Your Mind Into Doing Things You Don't Want To Do

Reporting live from Procrastination Station.

59
Unsplash

Procrastination: the bane of my existence. I don't know about you, but one of my worst habits is procrastinating. Whether it be schoolwork, cleaning, or other responsibilities, I always tell myself, "Oh, I'll just do it later." I think the reason that I continue to procrastinate is because nine times out of ten, I'm successful and I get the job done. However, there are still those times where I fail and tell myself that I'm going to stop, yet I never do. It is a bad habit that has worsened over the years, and I'm determined to better my case of procrastination. So, what causes us to procrastinate in the first place, and how can we weed it out of our daily routine?

One way to trick your mind into doings things you don't want to do is improving your mindset.

Procrastination is a reflection of our mindset towards certain tasks. If you view a task as dreadful and a burden, you're going to correlate negative feelings towards it and are more likely to keep pushing it off. For example, in my personal experience, I tend to prolong completing an assignment for particular classes until the very last minute because I either don't enjoy that class, or I perceive it as burdensome.

On the other hand, if you associate more positive emotions, such as excitement, towards a task, you'll be more inclined to complete it sooner in a timely manner. Even if it is an assignment or task you don't enjoy, correlating positive emotions towards completing it can help motivate you to finish it.

Continuing off of the mindset topic, it is helpful to set yourself goals when starting something. Not only can this help with organization, but it can also boost your mindset and change your perspective of your assignment to be more positive. When I set goals, I make sure they are realistic and achievable, that way I don't feel discouraged if I don't accomplish them or if it takes longer than anticipated.

Setting goals can also help you allocate time for breaks and avoid cramming while completing an assignment or task. Breaks are important to include because they allow for you to maintain a positive mindset and avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Another helpful trick to prevent procrastination is to give yourself something to look forward to after completing your goal, task, or assignment, such as a reward.

It could be something small, like finally eating that piece of delicious cake or finishing the last season of your favorite show. It could also be something bigger, such as treating yourself to a nice dinner or buying a new outfit. I find these to be great motivators, especially when I'm struggling to get started and finish an assignment. I know it is easy to ignore the task at hand and skip straight to the reward, but it feels so rewarding when you take that first bite of cake or hit "checkout" on your online shopping cart without the built-up anxiety from pushing off a task following you like a shadow. Incorporating this tip also helps further the connection between positive thoughts and your responsibility.

There is an endless amount of different techniques you can use to stop procrastinating. These are just a few tips and tricks that I find to be very helpful and simple to incorporate into any daily routine. With that said, good luck on your journey to ending procrastination!