A Tribute to the Wonderful Alan Rickman

A Tribute to the Wonderful Alan Rickman

The man behind some of film's greatest villains

25
A Tribute to the Wonderful Alan Rickman

First legendary musician, David Bowie, now illustrious actor, Alan Rickman. This week has not getting up in the morning an easy task, that's for sure. Similarly to Bowie, Alan Rickman was 69, battling cancer, and both led very private lives for celebrities.

Like many of Generation Y, I first came to know Alan Rickman as the greasy, sardonic and, for all intents and purposes, diabolical, Professor Severus Snape. And like many "Potter" fans, as time went on, I grew to not only like Snape, but admire Rickman for bringing such dimension to J.K. Rowling's work of art.

Unlike many screen actors, who get started in their early twenties, or even teens, Rickman's career took off when he was 41, although he attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art from the time he was 26 to 28. After winning a multitude of prizes, he left to work in theatre. He worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company, even earning the male lead in an adaptation of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses," and had a role in the BBC adaptation of "Barchester Towers."

But, as I said, it wasn't until 1988's "Die Hard," that Rickman became more of a household name, playing Hans Gruber. While he originally wasn't too keen on an action movie, he said that the intelligence of the script is what changed his mind.

Throughout the years, Rickman played a range of memorable characters. I was originally going to write a list, but then it got too long, and I figured we could use some pictures of the glorious Alan Rickman. So here you go.

Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"

Colonel Brandon in "Sense and Sensibility"

The sleazy Harry in "Love Actually" (I mean, really, who cheats on Emma Thompson? I'm looking at you, Kenneth).

Marvin the Paranoid Android (voice) in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Judge Turpin in "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"

Steven Spurrier in "Bottle Shock"

Absolem the Caterpillar in "Alice in Wonderland" and the sequel, "Alice Through the Looking Glass" (post-production, thankfully, we still have more Rickman to look forward to)

Rickman's career won him a slew of awards, from a BAFTA for his role in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" (and three nominations), to a Golden Globe for Best Actor in "Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny," for which he also won an Emmy and the SAG Award. Rickman was nominated for countless others, including two Tony Awards for "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" and "Private Lives."

As mentioned above, Alan Rickman led a particularly private life. When he was 19, he met Rima Horton, his first girlfriend, and, as of 2012, his wife. Although they didn't announce the latter until 2015. Rickman and Horton were together for 51 years, until his death today.

This morning, a part of my childhood died, and I think it's safe to say, many of yours did as well.