A Tribute To The Unpopular Opinion Squad

They may be awkward, Disney-loving nerds, but they're my awkward, Disney-loving nerds.

6
Kelsey Nevius

Most of the time, the world is so sideways that I just stand by and look at it all, wondering how it got this way. I recognize that I am widely different from most of the people my age, though not in the "I'm better than you and you should all be the way I am" way. Though, I would suspect that most people who are in any sense like me or think the way that I do would feel the same.

My tiny group of friends that I have are on similar wavelengths, and some thoughts or beliefs we have don't exactly fit in with this day and age. While we're all our own people, with different experiences and different views, we all have one thing in common: not holding the popular opinion in our age range.

What do I mean by this, exactly? For example:

We take relationships seriously, and we don't rush in or out of them. So many people these days are just constantly in or out of a relationship, never really thinking about the long term or what's best for themselves or other people. Though we don't necessarily like being single, we either choose to be or are waiting until we feel like we are ready for one. Sometimes it's both, and we don't need an explanation or excuse as to why we're not in one. We don't just rush into them because someone likes us, or we don't have anything better to do. We don't let relationships define who we are as people. Another reason why we aren't dating: we're hella awkward and don't know what we're doing.

We don't need anything, drugs or alcohol or otherwise, to have a great time. We have fun just by being together, and we don't feel the need to get smashed or high to enjoy each others company. We could all gather around the TV and watch Disney movies and eat cookies all day, and that's our idea of a wonderful time, and that's freaking amazing to me. Some people look at us funny for loving 'childish' things, but we just put on our tiaras and deal with it.

We're all old souls. We like things traditional, and we have fairy tale dreams even if we know we're not being realistic. My favorite music is stuff from the 50's and 60's, and my best friend would rather sleep under the stars than in a 4 star hotel. We seek out the old and forgotten, and we love spending the day wandering through antique stores or coveting after antique versions of Jane Erye or Pride and Prejudice. I myself have been described as a "70 year old stuck inside of a 20 year old's body".

We're freaking nerds. We love Disney movies, playing Princess Yatzee, and getting washable tattoos from the vending machines you find inside grocery stores. We love arguing over who was the better character in books and what the best movie version was. We stay up until 3 a.m. because we simply can't put a book down. We listen to crappy music because it reminds us of our childhood. We record ourselves eating really disgusting jellybeans because it makes us laugh to look back on it. We go out in the middle of the night to play Pokemon. We're just general idiots.

We're open. We talk about anything and everything, and we're not afraid of judging each other just because we see things differently. We understand that we're not going to agree all of the time, and we're there for each other any time, any day, anywhere. Hell, we don't fit in anywhere else.

The way I see it, the world will always break you down, no matter what opinions you have. We all aren't exactly alike, and that's okay. Being the popular opinion is okay. Being the unpopular opinion is also okay. I'm just glad that my unpopular opinion sticks me right here along with the people I call friends.