Travel Hacks: Makeup Bag Essentials

Travel Hacks: Makeup Bag Essentials

When overpacking is an issue, the last thing you want holding you back is your cosmetic collection.

68
Travel Hacks: Makeup Bag Essentials
Lovely Indeed

So you’re going on vacation, a business trip, or a weekend getaway. As always, you’ve told yourself to pack light; but, as always, you find yourself with two bags more than necessary… and you could barely get them shut.

Over packing is something we’ve all struggled with at one point or another. As a chronic over-packer, myself, I have tried many tactics to minimize what I bring along on trips. One piece of the packing puzzle I have almost entirely solved is the cosmetic bag. As a makeup junkie, I often use a mountain of products just for a single look, so planning for several days has often led me to pack an extra suitcase-worth of makeup. It is no surprise that I had to figure out an effective method to planning makeup. Here are my travel makeup bag hacks:

1. SMALL EYE PALETTES

These will take up much less space than full-sized ones. Finding one that is neutral, versatile, and allows you to create several full looks will drastically shrink down the size and number of eyeshadow products you pack. These are my three favorite small eyeshadow palettes for travel.

2. SAMPLES AND MINIS

These are either given away for free, redeemed with store credit points, or purchased at a low price in the “danger-zone” of the checkout line at most beauty supply stores. Save the miniature versions of products that you already love so that you can fill your makeup bag with great items that do not take up much space. Here are the best pieces of my collection of miniatures and free samples, which I often throw in my travel bag.

3. STAPLES

Staples are your most loved and most used products. If there is anything you can’t live without, that you use every time you wear makeup, or that you know you will not get sick of using throughout your trip, then you should make room for it in your bag. Here are a few of the things I use daily and need to bring everywhere I go.

4. CONTOUR KITS

These kits are something that may take some strategic planning when you travel. At home, I often use a variety of products, or a large contour palette that is not very portable. For travel, I am always sure to have either a miniature contour, blush, and highlight palette that can be used throughout the trip, or I make my own minimalistic contour set consisting of my favorite cool-toned bronzer (which can be used for bronzing and contour), a mini neutral blush, a single refill of “banana” highlight powder, and my favorite glowy highlighter.

5. VARIETY PALETTES

This is my final recommendation for your travel makeup bag. Typically, I do avoid packing large items and, instead, opt for small eyeshadow palettes or singles of my favorite highlighters, bronzers, blushes, etc. However, if you are going on a long trip or will need to achieve many different looks during your travels, palettes like these are a great way to get variety in one single product. You can have a choice of several blushes or highlighters, mix shades within the palette, or achieve many different eye looks from a single, versatile eye palette like this one.