Yes, I Am Transferring Schools And No, I Am Not Ashamed

And I shouldn't be.

422

Transferring schools can be a long and arduous process while for others, it could be a breeze.

The reasons behind applying to transfer are infinite; whether it is for financial reasons, a geographical or demographical change, a more or less academically competitive atmosphere, the unavailability of an area of study or a weak department, or even the lack of school spirit.

Yes, there seems to be a negative stigma for transferring colleges or universities. But no, I am not ashamed.

Although some people know they want to transfer just a few short moments after move-in day, others need a full year to decide whether or not the school is right for them.

Understand that this time period is very, very difficult, as prospective transfers fight the internal struggle of choosing to stay and make the most of their experience or grasp the opportunity to move onto something better for them.

No one wants to feel like a quitter, and it is hard not to feel like one after only your first (or second) year of college to decide if you are transferring or not.

If everything happens for a reason, doesn't that mean I should stay at the school? Or was it meant to act as a leeway to a new chapter in your life at a whole new school?

As supportive as your friends and family may (or may not) be, you will always feel a hint of bitterness inside from the regret you feel for leaving behind all the could have beens and would have beens. The world may never know.

But what I do know, is that there is a new adventure awaiting for me. And at the end of the day, I do not regret my decision to applying to a new set of schools that would be a better fit.

There is nothing wrong with wanting something better for yourself especially, if you're willing to work for it. If you couldn't make it work in one place, perhaps you could make it better at another. And you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.