We Should All Be Cisgender Allies
Politics

As a Cisgender Ally, I’m Furious And You Should Be Too

Even if you don't identify as a trans individual or even as part of the LGBTQ+ community, you should be pissed off too.

189
Flickr

So. We've all probably seen the news about the latest crap the Trump Administration has been up to. This time, they're trying to define trans lives out of existence by defining gender as unchanging and biologically determined at birth. Not that I'm personally too surprised that they're trying this but seriously. What the hell?

As you can probably tell, yes, I am pissed off about this. Yes, I identify as a cisgender woman. But even if you don't identify as trans or even as part of the LGBTQ+ community, you should be too. This is not a matter of politics. Even if you identify as conservative or don't even necessarily agree with the concept of there being more than two genders (even though science has proven otherwise), this is more than just a matter of politics. This is a matter of human decency and human dignity. We've already seen what happens when governments take away legal representation of groups of people. You only need to look at Jews living in Nazi Germany. And the Native Americans all throughout Colonial America and even afterward.

If the Trump Administration manages to erase the trans identity out of existence, then at least 1.4 million Americans will be in trouble. Already trans individuals are more vulnerable to violence, sexual abuse, and homelessness. If they lose recognition from the government, they also lose civil rights protections and healthcare support from not only the governments but also the companies they might be receiving support from. I've only listed two general things, but those are huge. Every US resident has a right to these things, regardless of their gender identity, sexual orientation, and any other social identity.

And seriously, why does it even matter to the government whether or not a person's gender identity matches up with their body? It's their body- they can do whatever they want to their body. We already allow people to pierce their bodies wherever they want and poke needles in to make tattoos. Why does the government ignore that then? Not to mention, in the bathroom, people talk about how cisgender people are scared of being attacked by trans individuals. Okay listen, it's a public bathroom. No one wants to be in there for longer than they have to. Why would you even want to start a fight in the bathroom? It's rude and it's unsanitary and not to mention that the other people around you wouldn't appreciate it either. And if you did see trans person in the bathroom, then I'm pretty sure they would want to the same thing as you- go about your business and get the heck out of there as soon as possible.

But seriously. Trans Lives Matter and if you are a decent human being, you should be pissed off at the government too. It's not a matter of politics. It's a matter of being empathy and solidarity. It's a matter of being a decent human being to all around you.