Traditional Macchiatos Vs. A Starbucks Macchiato

It's time to know the difference.

26860

Most of us have heard someone in front of us at a Starbucks, or even maybe ourselves, order a "Caramel Macchiato." It's one of their most common drinks because of the sweetness that it provides. It is a good sweet coffee fix, but did you know that it isn't actually a real macchiato? Turns out there is a difference from what Starbucks labels a macchiato and what the rest of the world calls a macchiato. This article will explain the difference between a traditional macchiato and a Starbucks macchiato.

Let's start with the Starbucks version of a macchiato.

I will admit, this drink is beautiful and tastes amazing. It is the perfect mix of a sweet and creamy drink. But what actually is a caramel macchiato from Starbucks?

A Starbucks macchiato is a latte with foam on top and flavored with what you choose (most people stick to caramel or hazelnut). It is made like a latte but put into the cup differently. According to Starbucks.com, the drink is a....

"Freshly steamed milk with vanilla-flavored syrup is marked with espresso and topped with caramel drizzle for an oh-so-sweet finish."

Now to the traditional macchiato.

A traditional macchiato is a direct espresso drink with some foamed milk to top it off. It is a drink that is weaker than straight espresso, but heavier than a cappuccino. It is a simple, more direct drink as compared to the Starbucks version. If you go to a smaller, more localized coffee shop you will be able to order a macchiato just by asking for one. However, if you go to a joint like Starbucks, you will have to ask for an espresso macchiato in order to skip the syrups and extra milk.

The traditional macchiato originated from Italy. The term macchiato actually means "marked" or "stained", so it translates to stained coffee.

How to order:

At localized coffee shops or any shop that doesn't list the exact differences within macchiatos, here's what to order. If you are craving a sweet caramel macchiato then ask for a Starbucks caramel macchiato or explain to them that you want the nontraditional macchiato.

If you want a traditional macchiato at a Starbucks order an espresso macchiato (as stated above). Starbucks also came out with a latte macchiato, which is their newest name for steamed milk topped with espresso shots. The difference is the amount of milk in the drink.

I hope you will now know the difference and order the drink you desire next time you're at a coffee shop! Enjoy your drinks and let others know the difference so they order the right drink!