Touch Up: A Poem

Touch Up: A Poem

Sticky situation

While touching up paint my father points

to a collection of shiny circles on my wall.

What’d you do here?

I dipped my finger into the drying wax

of a clean linens scented candle.

The warm wax stuck to my fingers

It felt like it would stick to me forever.

So I began to wipe them onto my white wall

creating a circles of glossy polish.

I scraped and scrubbed, but no amount of

spit and elbow grease could remove the wax.

He scratches at it.

Seriously. What is this?

I shrug my shoulders

I don’t know.

Thank You, Dad, For Teaching Me The Value Of Hard Work

Thank you for working hard for us and teaching me the value of hard work.

Recently, I wrote an article on how my mom has become my best friend since I have moved into college. Although my dad adored the article, and loves seeing my relationship with my mom flourish, he has since joked about being hurt that I did not write an article about him. So now it is your turn, Dad. Here’s to you!

In all seriousness, my dad deserves his own article as well. I do not think this article will be nearly enough to thank him for all he has done for me in the past 18 years. But it is worth a shot, and he deserves it!

I did not truly realize how much my dad has sacrificed for my brother and I until recently. And when I did, my appreciation for him increased greatly. My dad works two jobs, as the owner of a plumbing company and a police officer, to provide for my mom, my brother and me.

Working two jobs means that my dad wakes up early each morning to go do plumbing work, comes home for lunch and maybe a few minutes to relax if he is lucky, and then gets ready and goes to work at the police station. He does not come home from his shift until 12:30 A.M. and yet each morning, he wakes up and repeats the routine all over again.

Not only does my dad work two jobs, but he also makes decisions at those jobs based on his family's needs. When I was in high school, he changed his shift at the police station just so that he would be home every day to pick me up from track practice or school. Because of this, I never had to worry about finding a ride home before I got my license.

Although his two jobs take away from some of our family time, the time my father and I do get to spend together is special. I am lucky that my dad has always made our family his first priority, and has never missed an important event because of work.

He often makes work-related jokes when it comes to big events. We will be talking about my graduation, prom, or college move-in and he will jokingly say “Oh sorry, I can’t come, I’m working." Despite how busy he often is, he would not miss an important event for the world.

I know many people will claim their dad is their role model, but I can say with complete honesty that my dad is mine. Not only has his hard work allowed me to live a more than comfortable life, but it has also impacted my own working habits.

I am lucky to have him to look up to throughout my childhood. He inspires me to work hard, and he is part of the reason that I am the type of person that loves working, and that feels wrong if they do not have a job to do.

Thank you, dad, for working as hard as you have for so many years and for allowing me to have the bright future that I do.