Top 10 Tips To Save The Earth

Top 10 Tips To Save The Earth

There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but you will find a better connection.

131
Tentree

"If we want a generation that cares about the environment, we need to encourage a deep relationship with the world around us (not just screens). In this way we learn that we are not separate from our surroundings, but active participants in it's very process and evolution." -Keri Smith

The number one top tips on how to save our planet is to save energy, save water, and reduce, reuse, and recycle. Just changing most of our bad habits can make a huge impact on helping our environment. Not only helping our environment, but saving Earth from the harsh things we do to it every single day.

Here are 10 easy ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle by going greener:

1. First, do your research on what is going on in our environment.

Let me tell you, what we are doing it is not pretty. Learn how terrifying the effects of climate change are. IT IS REAL. Learn what we are doing that is impacting our planet greatly (in a very terrible way); overfishing, global warming, shipping traffic overseas, dredging and dumping waste into our oceans, deforestation, pollution of automobiles and much more. Ask yourself, how can I change my polluting habits in an easy and sustainable way? By doing your research and understanding what the real issues are in our environment will give you the extra push to actually do something about it. We need to limit the amount of resources we use daily, such as plastic products, and this small contribution will definitely impact the environment in a broader aspect. Just by changing your daily habits and using healthier and more useful alternatives, will improve our planet in a sustainable and efficient way.

2. Reusable sandwich bags.

Cost-effective and stylish sandwich bags that you can use over and over! Check out Trader Joe's or Amazon for inexpensive and cute reusable sandwich bags. You can even make your own DIY sandwich bag. Pinterest has a lot of cute alternatives to DIY sandwich bags that are fairly easy and a lot cheaper than just buying it online or in stores. Not only is DIY sandwich bags cheaper, but you get to design and style your own reusable bags however you like! Hint: You can also maybe start your own business and sell your items online!

3. Change your light bulbs to compact fluorescent light bulbs.

If every house in the U.S. switched just one light bulb to a compact fluorescent light bulb, it would be equivalent to taking one million cars off the road. That is how big of a change we would make if everyone just did one tiny alternative. So imagine how big the number would be if everyone switched ALL their light bulbs in their home to fluorescent light bulbs?

4. Do NOT throw away your old light bulbs!

Instead, reuse them by making DIY lightbulb planters. They are stylish, eco-friendly, and a great way to make your home even more beautiful. There are many links on Pinterest that show you how to make DIY lightbulb planters that are fairly cheap and easy to do. Here is one DIY lightbulb planter article link that shows you an easy step by step (with pictures): How To Make A Hanging Lightbulb Planter

5. Choose cardboard matches over wood matches and lighters.

Cardboard matches are made from recycled paper, so they are not only environmentally friendly, but they are BIODEGRADABLE! This is a healthier alternative for our environment by limiting pollution and limiting deforestation.

6. Say NO to plastic bags! Use Reusable Bags instead!

Anything plastic is not biodegradable. Plastic pollutes nature, land, and our oceans, which essentially hurts our marine life. Switch to paper bags and reusable bags. Reusable bags are even more useful because you can reuse them, they come in stylish cute patterns, and they are biodegradable.

7. Buy reusable water bottles.

I went to Target not too long ago and they displayed a whole section of reusable eco-friendly water bottles. Usually when you buy reusable products, there will be a sticker or tag that says eco-friendly. Regardless, we should not be use plastic water bottles anymore! Plastic is the world's GREATEST source of pollution. Here are some true facts of what plastic does to our environment:

• Every square mile of ocean contains 46,000 pieces of floating plastic.
  • Over time, plastic breaks down into smaller pieces that can contaminate our soil, animals, and waterways.
  • Animals often mistake these plastic pieces for food. Once the plastic gets into their systems, these pieces can poison the animal and often lead to its death.
  • 26 billion water bottles are thrown away each year.
  • Out of that huge number, only 1/5 of these are recycled.

8. Starbucks reusable cups!

If you are a Starbucks lover, buy the Starbucks reusable cup! It is now $2 dollars and you save 10 cents every time you use it! Instead of buying a paper or plastic cup every time you purchase, you instead can limit that and use the reusable cup. And you save money too!

9. Save our forests by going paperless!

Pay your bills online! If every house in the U.S. paid electronically, we could save 18.5 million trees a year. Here is an article by Tentree that describes the most amazing and mysterious forests on Earth: 12 Of The Most Mysterious Forests In The World

Nature is what makes us. Before you use paper again, remember that these incredible forests are home to millions of animals. If we continue to eliminate these forests, we won't see them and we will witness a lot of animals go extinct due to deforestation.

10. Recycle! Most importantly, recycle glass.

It takes more than 1 million years to decompose glass. Recycled glass reduces water pollution by 50 percent and air pollution by 20 percent.

I love candles, and all candles come in glass containers. After my candle is all burnt out, I like to clean out the container and use it for storage in my house and in my room. I'll put make-up brushes in them, I like to add some flowers into the containers, and put some of my go-to beauty and home essential's in them. It is also a great way to save money because candles aren't even that expensive and you get to reuse them later on.

Just remember, even the smallest voice can make a difference in a big way. If we all commit and take action for our own actions that harm our Planet, then we can fix it. Use your voice, whether in art, music, writing, etc. Make an impact and you will see others follow your foot steps. Not only follow you, but understand the harmful effects pollution does to our ecosystem.